Rheinfelden: Roman Ruins and Wonderful New Friends - Poking Around Europe on our Bikes - CycleBlaze

October 4, 2014

Rheinfelden: Roman Ruins and Wonderful New Friends

We had a great breakfast on the deck after our wake up call by Caruso, with the Rhine lapping at our feet. It is still summer here. We were invited to stay another night but I felt we had to put on some kms. Yvonne escorted us to the medieval village across the river in Swizerland. A large annual market was underway where we eventually ran into the local hockey team. Even they knew of the Victoria Breakers. One of the boys - Silvan - now has a Victoria Breaker's tee shirt.

GTW taking over at this point. Yvonne and Gerhard were amazing hosts. I shared Keith's feelings about wanting to put some kilometres on the ponies, but I was also reminding him that one of our goals was spontaneity and I loved the idea of staying. When he started chatting up the hockey boys, and it was already noon, I made an executive decision. We both agree it was the right one. We stayed with the Holl family and Caruso and his harem for another night.

Yvonne made us a delicious lunch with fresh veg picked up at the market that morning. Then Yvonne and Gerhard took us to see the rest of the Roman ruins on the Swiss side. I learned more about the gladiator lifestyle than I really care to know. It was a cruel life. There was a wonderful museum and their collection of Roman silver and the intricacies of it astonished us.

In the evening we went out for dinner at a great spot. There is nothing like local knowledge! It was a magical evening.

Breakfast on the Rhine. Watch for Joscha, Yvonne and Gerhard's son in the next few years. He is a great rower and has a fabulous coach...his Dad.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is Oscar, joining us for breakfast.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lily, one of Caruso's girls thought she would drop by for breakfast too. Lily has a real personality.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The view from the kitchen. It is a fantastic spot. The deck where we ate breakfast was one level down and we slept one level up.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gerhard and Yvonne hard at work in the kitchen, to our benefit. We look forward to returning the hospitality when they come to Canada.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The boys rowing by.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Joscha and buddies winning medals. Yvonne took us on a tour of the rowing club.
Heart 0 Comment 0
They look pretty tippy to me! Thanks to Gerhard, I will be a lot more knowledgable next time I watch rowing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Note the fully loaded panniers here. I dragged those babies all through an annual Swiss medieval market. Duh!
Heart 0 Comment 0
A very moving sculpture done by a friend of Yvonnes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Loved this guy.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Over the bridge into Switzerland.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Reindeer hides. Beautiful.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This one is for you, Bill T. The kids were having a blast here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
How about this for a door?
Heart 0 Comment 0
These boys were a lot of fun. "Canada? Hockey? Never heard of it! Oh wait, there is one team we have heard of...the Victoria Breakers." We just happened to have a shirt with us.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some trash talk and some posing. The Victoria Breakers shirt stayed in Switzerland. Keith knows where he can get another one.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This player is serious about his hockey.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our Swiss Hund of the Day. Just three months old and destined to be a big boy.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It was a beautiful town. The pictures don't do it justice.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another look.
Heart 0 Comment 0
From the bridge between countries.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Augusta Raurica. They have rebuilt the seats within the ruins and hold outdoor concerts here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It is really interesting to imagine what it must have been like. Gerhard and Yvonne were great at explaining things to us.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I like touching the old stones and thinking about how amazing it is they survived. It is still an active archeological site and the interpretive material they have is excellent.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Amazing place.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Look at this detail. The silver collection was fascinating.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And back at the ranch the chicks needed to be fed and the ponies were resting. We went out for dinner shortly after and forgot both phone and camera, so no pictures, but a truly wonderful evening. Yvonne and Gerhard, thank you so much. Then back to the Holl's amazing house for a good night's rest.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 5 km (3 miles)
Total: 1,497 km (930 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0