Rested and Ready to Ride: Rheinfelden to Hohentegen - Poking Around Europe on our Bikes - CycleBlaze

October 5, 2014

Rested and Ready to Ride: Rheinfelden to Hohentegen

After a nice breakfast with Gerhard and Yvonne all four of us jumped on our bikes. They were off to the rowing club located nearby for a morning row. So we said our goodbyes at the rowing club and carried on. What a pleasure meeting complete strangers who took us in and treated us like long lost friends. A great family, we thoroughly enjoyed the two days we spent with them...and we know we will see them again. Thank you Gerhard and Yvonne!!!

Our first stop was for coffee and some black forest cake in Bad Sackingen at the Schlosspark Cafe. We had a good discussion with the owners who have Canadian connections. Following our coffee we took a spin through the very appealing old town of Bad Sackingen. Our next point of interest was a short stop at the picturesque town of Laufenburg where we popped over to Swiss side. This would be a great spot to spend some time but the ponies were restless.

At Hohentegen we decided to stop and find a hotel room or zimmer. Not so easy even at this time of year. Apparently Swiss workers in the area will stay on the German side of the river because of the lower accommodation costs so everything was booked. However, the Schule family who rent rooms were kind enough to make several phone calls and were successful in finding us at room 3 km back down the road. They even escorted us to the hotel by leading us by car so that we wouldn't have any problems locating it. What kind people! They also had Canadian connections having lived in BC for several years. Their beautiful daughter was married in Surrey.

The hotel was a treat, and dinner in the restaurant was delicious, but the hour before the Schules took us under their wing was stressful. We have decided to book ahead for tomorrow so we know we have a bed. It is a bit cool at night for sleeping outside!

Off road almost all day. We had the iPods on and were rocking the Eurovelo 6.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of Oscar's relatives along the path.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Honorary Hund of the Day. Once the great accomodation hunt began, we forgot to find a hund. We were very, very focused on finding a room. It is not straightforward to pop down the road another 20 or 30 km on a bike. We had the legs for it but weren't keen to cycle in the dark.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bike path from our coffee stop. It was heavenly. Classical music, fantastic food and great coffee.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Window next to our table.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The ceiling. How atmospheric can you get? I could have stayed there all day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And did I mention the Black Forest cake? Divine.
Heart 0 Comment 0
From the exterior. What a perfect spot. It was foggy in the morning or we would have been sitting on the terrace.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bad Sackingen was a really neat village.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We rode all around to check it out.
Heart 0 Comment 0
No navigational issues and a terrific route.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Up a hill, around a corner, and our first glimpse of Laufenburg.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I realized I was biking around with my mouth hanging open. It was amazing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Both sides of the river were equally stunning.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hard to get lost too.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just a great place.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heading out of town. The pictures don't do it justice.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The fog is disappearing as the sun does its work.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Around every corner there is something to look at. Usually it is something beautiful.
Heart 0 Comment 0
But sometimes it is something practical!
Heart 0 Comment 0
The CN isn't usually into selfies, but he couldn't resist.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 81 km (50 miles)
Total: 1,578 km (980 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0