Getting lost in Provence and a Flat Tire: Besancon to Caromb by train and bike - Poking Around Europe on our Bikes - CycleBlaze

September 21, 2014

Getting lost in Provence and a Flat Tire: Besancon to Caromb by train and bike

Our first train adventure of the trip went well. We were able to simply roll the bikes on the train for the first, short commuter leg of the adventure, and on the TGV we removed the panniers, hung up the bikes and relaxed. It was after getting off the train that the adventure really began.

We were relying on a road map and what I have taken to calling the flaky GPS. First the chief navigator took us on a tour through the industrial area north of the train station. Then, once on the bike route we made our way on a gradually deteriorating bike path to Avignon, but the CN made the decision to bypass the old city and we were on a nightmare of a highway with no shoulder. To make it even more interesting to ride the white line, there were raised reflectors to be avoided every 15 metres or so. We didn't take long to decide it wasn't a good idea.

We attempted to find a better route. We wended our way in circles, passing the local prison, a camp of people down on their luck, and some 'interesting' neighbourhoods, all without making any real headway. The prison was my favourite. How many Canadian tourists can say they have seen the Provence prison not once, but twice!

We were in a smallish town when Keith had our first flat of the tour. Keith changed it in record time. Since it was our first flat that wasn't hard. We threw the offending tube in the panniers to patch at our destination. At that point we decided I had to put my big girl attitude on and get on the highway or we might never get to Caromb. It was amazing. Just that little bit further down the road it was not that busy, had a huge shoulder, and the always respectful French drivers gave us tons of room. We were in Caromb in no time. The flaky GPS took us uphill into the heart of the town where they were having some kind of a fair...think tacky rides and carnival games. Keith thought he was hallucinating! We finally found the lovely quiet spot where Ken and Val had a cold beer waiting for us, with wine and a fabulous dinner to follow.

Waiting for the train that will take us to Provence.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is second class. The train rides were a pleasure, and on the TGV it was interesting to watch the scenery go by at 300 km an hour, not 20!
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Surly ponies having a rest.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A Victoria Breaker hockey fan in the Avignon train station. They are everywhere.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hmmmmm. Someone needs to trim some weeds here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This part was very pleasant.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sur la pont d'Avignon. OK, we went under it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
First glimpse of old Avignon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Keith's new iPhone mount. Works really well to hold the phone with the GPS, which loves main highways and circuitous routes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the side of the road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Are you sure we are in Caromb?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Reminds us of the last time we were in San Jose Del Cabo
Heart 0 Comment 0
We made it!
Heart 0 Comment 0
And did you notice? No Chien of the Day. There were two barking dogs where we had the flat, causing us to move 100 metres down the sidewalk for the repair. As a result, this is the best we can do. La Chatte of the Day!! Look who is holding her. Why are you not surprised we got talked into this!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 50 km (31 miles)
Total: 1,058 km (657 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0