Charming Besanson and the Citadel: Resting by walking miles, much of it uphill - Poking Around Europe on our Bikes - CycleBlaze

September 20, 2014

Charming Besanson and the Citadel: Resting by walking miles, much of it uphill

We have really enjoyed Besancon. We began the day by sleeping in and it was obviously much needed, as I didn't wake up until 9 AM. We then went to the train station and booked tickets on the TGV to Avignon in Provence to meet our friends Ken and Val and Cindy and Ron. We will be up early tomorrow for the train, so we spent some time checking out the different platform possibilities and how to get the bikes where they need to be. Should be interesting.

We walked into the old town and had a grand cafe and a pain au chocolat. The grand cafe in France is very petit, so I am learning to get by on less caffeine. It is probably good for me. It is such a pleasure to relax at the sidewalk cafés and watch the world go by. I love the people watching and today was brilliantly sunny and beautiful so that made it particularly pleasant. The only down side is that the French seemed to have missed the memo on the negative health effects of smoking and we can't believe how many people smoke here...Germany was the same. Smoking is perfectly acceptable on the terraces, and we aren't used to that. People are pretty considerate, but it continues to astonish us. I can't help but wonder if the number of smoking related cancers is greater here than at home.

We then wandered through the squares and up towards St. John's Cathedral. On our way we passed the most appealing bike shop ever where Keith bought an iPhone mount for his bike and I fell in love with a rain poncho for commuters. It was pricy but I am still thinking about it. I don't commute any more though so I don't really need it but...

Saint John's Cathedral, like all the churches in Europe had some interesting things to see, and we passed through the Porte Noire to get there, a Roman gate similar but much smaller than the one in Trier. Then it was on up to the Citadel, which is where we discovered all the museums and attractions in Besancon were free this weekend! That was a pretty amazing stroke of luck. The Citadel really is something, and includes two museums which seemed a good idea, and a zoo which seemed an odd idea to me. The views from the top were wonderful and we were able to see the Eurovelo 6 which we came in on. That was fun.

Once in town, after Keith fortified himself with a apple strudel we went to the Musee du Temps which was interesting (and free) and continued to explore the old town. We then caved and shared a kebab, which are ubiquitous here and we have resisted until now, but we were hungry and was it ever good!

We are back in the room relaxing and will head out for dinner shortly. Tomorrow will be a long day.

Many, many electric bicycles here. I am not ready yet, but if self propelled becomes a problem at some time in the future, I am not going to hesitate. It sure beats not biking, and they are fun, as I discovered in Trier. They are such a great idea.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We almost immediately came across the Chien of the Day. He is Keith's favourite so far and came with a lovely human who named him Iznogood. That was pretty much true, but we were so delighted with him he is the first since Cannelle to rate more than one picture.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Iznogood will soon be sharing his home with a bebe. There may be some sibling rivalry!
Heart 0 Comment 0
A true French gentleman. Who could resist a face like this?
Heart 0 Comment 0
We liked this cargo bike for kids. A small version that any child would love.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The rain poncho that I covet. Even your hands and handlebars are covered. She is sitting on a cargo bike in the shop. I may have to suggest North Park, our LBS, stock them.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Absolutely a great help, and a poncho model too. We recommend Proxy-Cycle in Besancon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Porte Noire.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Saint John's Cathedral.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking the other way.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ferry Carondelet's grave. Note the two sculptures, the peaceful top one and the depiction of death below. Dates from 1543.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Coming up to the Citadel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The well, which goes down 132 metres to the Doubs River.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This was in the aquarium area. Pretty tame but the kids loved it. It looked more like a Koi pond to me.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Oh the views!
Heart 0 Comment 0
I was drinking it all in.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The other side.
Heart 0 Comment 0
You can see the rowers practicing, but more important, in the far right corner is the Eurovelo 6.
Heart 0 Comment 0
For Marian. I was thinking of you.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Who could resist this public transit. Quiet and attractive.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0