4/5 Calamidads - Being Alive - CycleBlaze

March 5, 2022

4/5 Calamidads

Day 15 - Castrojeriz to Burgos

Calamidad might be my favourite Spanish word - not that I know a huge number. It's just very satisfying to say. It means "calamity" which is pretty much what today was, despite our efforts.

We knew that Burgos was only about 45km away - it's been in our sights for days. After the hills, the rain, the mud, we simply wanted a day of nice smooth roads, not too many hills, no great distances, no tragedies, no heroics. What we got was rain, mud, gravel, hills, cold, wrong turns, trucks on dual carriageways, bleak urban cycling, and hail. And Sarah fell over in a puddle.

It started well. The town of Castrojeriz, like so many on the camino have been, is beautiful, with many old and interesting things in it. Unfortunately I didn't get any pictures. We met some nice peregrinos at the one open hostel, had a nice dinner, a good sleep, and a hearty breakfast.

We set off along a charming, narrow, but very quiet and smooth road, lined with trees, surrounded by flat fields full of funny little birds which flittered up and down, and even funnier, fatter, grouse-like ones which waddled away on foot.

Heart 7 Comment 0

Then, the hills started.

It doesn't look much, but it switched-back to the top.
Heart 1 Comment 0

And it just got worse from there.

We tried to modify our route to hit some nice tarmac, but had to turn back to gravel after that road turned out to be the busiest highway we have seen, very popular with large articulated vehicles.

We tried to hide from the rain in a nice café (where we did get some hot tortilla - score!), but we got rained and hailed on after we left.

We tried to take it slow and, realising we were tired, said out loud "Let's not fall over and have an accident or anything." Seconds later, Sarah slips on the (muddy!) track and, valiantly flailing, does not manage to avoid falling in the puddle. Wet socks again.

We finally manage to make it to the outskirts of Burgos, but, scared of pretty much everything by now, we follow an ugly and bleak main road into the town instead of the camino, which most likely was totally fine and pleasant given it was so close to the city.

It then takes us probably an hour to find some wi-fi, find a hotel, pay much more than we wanted to, and collapse.

Upon reflection, I think we were colder (temperatures were -2c last night and barely above 5c all day) and hungrier (not much to eat after breakfast except the shared tortilla and some packet cake) than we realised. Hopefully a lesson learned.

A difficult day indeed.

It obviously wasn't all bad, there were plenty of nice views like this one. Not that we truly managed to enjoy most of them.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Today's ride: 55 km (34 miles)
Total: 470 km (292 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 12
Comment on this entry Comment 8
Zelda MekAmazing that despite all of that you still did 55k. The descriptions make me cold just reading them (a high compliment to your writing, not the conditions)! Hope you had a warm dinner and a chance to dry out completely.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Frank DenmanThese are the days you will remember and tell stories when you return to your friends and family.hope Sarah has two pair of socks keep smiling xx
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rich FrasierDefinitely Type 2 Fun. I'm full of admiration for your bravery. It's still winter, and the weather can only get better. Hang in there, I'm rooting for you both!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Suzanne GibsonWish the day could have stayed the way it was in the first picture. 55 km is quite an accomplishment! Good luck for the coming days. Saludos!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Lorenzo JaryTo Zelda MekThanks Zelda! Yep we are doing everything in our powers to recuperate - heating on full, lots of fresh and nutritious food, lots of lying down!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Lorenzo JaryTo Frank DenmanThanks for the support Frank! Haha yes we've done laundry now too so fresh warm socks are on!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Lorenzo JaryTo Rich FrasierDefinitely type 2 fun. Normally the best kind I think, though this did verge into that other type where you sort of wish it would stop already!
We're thinking of heading to the coast where the weather seems much better. Who knew that a March in Spain could be so cold!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Lorenzo JaryTo Suzanne GibsonThanks! 55km doesn't sound like a lot but maybe you're right, given the circumstances we should be proud of it.
Cheers! Fingers crossed for a bit of sun!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago