Beaten up in Burgos - Being Alive - CycleBlaze

March 6, 2022

Beaten up in Burgos

Day 16 - rest day Burgos

Not literally (sorry mum), but we are feeling a bit sorry for ourselves. It's amazing how tired and stiff and lethargic you can feel after spending a whole day trying to recuperate, eating well, lots of lying down, and going for a few gentle walks. It's hard to imagine doing this all while camping... It gets easier as time goes on, right?

We might alter our route for the rest of Spain - we fancy a change from the camino and so are thinking of heading to Bilbao and the coast, it's warmer there and it would be nice to see the sea, and also nice to see both the Atlantic and then soon the Mediterranean. Nice to do a few more miles on smooth roads. Unless anyone has any majorly important thoughts as to why we shouldn't? Then it'll be follow the coast round to Biarritz where my Pyrenean foothills route starts.

Anyway, Burgos centre is much better than the bleak urban outskirts led me to believe, and it has a very nice, unusual, insane, sprawling cathedral. Here are some arty black and white pics of that and a few other things.

They graft these trees into each other so they're all connected. Pretty weird!
Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This was next to the cathedral. It's a mural but looks like mosaic, I think it's great!
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Scott AndersonI’ve dreamed about biking to Burgos for a long time but somehow we’ve never made it. This post certainly whets my interest again.

I think heading for the coast is a good idea. I’ve been wondering about whether to butt in and suggest that you’re awfully early in the year to be heading into the Pyrenees, and biking around the end is probably a safer bet. And the coastline here is gorgeous. Bilbao, San Sebastián, and Saint Jean de Luz are some of our favorite places. Do your map reading in advance though - it ain’t flat.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Tricia GrahamIf you like hills the AtlanticCoast of Spain is the place for you! The hill between San Sabastin and Irun although certainly a challenge is truely magnificent and you will have a wonderful coast down to Irun
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Lorenzo JaryTo Scott AndersonThanks Scott - changing route has certainly seemed like a good choice to us so far!

Haha yes it does seem a bit early for the Pyrenees... I'm a bit worried, but the route I have is for the "foothills", doesn't go much above 75om so hopefully it'll be okay!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Lorenzo JaryTo Tricia GrahamThanks Tricia! Haha well we like some hills, some are a bit much for us... Guess we'll have to see which type these coast ones are.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago