Day 2: Neunburg vorm Wald - Bad Kötzting - Bavarian Forest Tour - CycleBlaze

July 1, 2022

Day 2: Neunburg vorm Wald - Bad Kötzting

 We decided it didn't make any difference when we set out since 80% rain was predicted for the whole day, and the temperature had dropped from 28C yesteday to 17C and wasn't expected to get any warmer. Since it wasn't raining yet at nine we thought it would be good get a relatively early start. We were eager to leave our room, too, since there was construction going on somewhere in the building and the jack hammer was deafenng. We had wondered why we received a little welcoming gift of a tiny bottle of schnaps and ear plugs when we checked in yesterday!

We didn't make the quick getaway we had hoped for when Janos discovered his back tire was soft. Rather than labor over the challenge of removing the rear wheel, he set off for a nearby bike shop. Fortunately, they had time and fixed it in a jiffy. That taken care and because we knew we were going to get rained on anyway sooner or later, we dallied to have a look at Neunburg's medieval fortified castle. Not much to see from the outside, but I got a snap or two and we were finally on our way.

Quick service here. The bike shop is next to a Covid testing center and the entry is routed through the door of the bike shop while the exit uses another door, keeping distance.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Neunburg's castle
Heart 4 Comment 0

The day was a mixture of asphalt and unsealed surfaces of varying quality. None of the gravel stretches was very long, it's just that you don't know how long you will be weaving in and out between the stones until you reach smooth ground again. We had enough climbing to keep me happy but not wear me out and the views to woods-covered mountains in the distance were what I love. It would have been better yet if the sky hadn't been so grey and the air warmer. Mostly we had the wind from behind and with every bumpy surface we remembered  to count our blessings that at least it wasn't raining yet.

Grey skies with bright yellow fields
Heart 5 Comment 0
A bit of gravel along a pretty lake
Heart 4 Comment 0
A kiddley divey too, wouldn't you? I've had an ear worm ever since I took this picture.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Mountains of the Bavarian Forest
Heart 6 Comment 1

We passed on the edges of some smaller towns and were otherwise on bicycle paths for the most part. Towards the end of our ride we visited Cham. We hadn't gotten wet yet but we decided not to hurry past even if it meant getting rained on in the end.

Crossing the bridge over the Regen at Cham, with petunias and a modern sculpture
Heart 5 Comment 0
View to the Regen
Heart 5 Comment 0
City gate of Cham
Heart 6 Comment 0
Main square with fountain and nice town house facades
Heart 4 Comment 0
Main square and maypole - some people in shirt sleaves are seated outside and eating ice cream! Brrrr...
Heart 5 Comment 0
Nice depiction of the trades in Cham
Heart 5 Comment 0
A closer look
Heart 4 Comment 0

The  day remained cool and when we thought we had almost made it we came to a planning error in our route. I don't know if it was Komoot or me but the last kilometers of the ride were on a road where cyclists were not allowed - with good reason, it was a fast highway with no shoulder. The alternative was to continue following the meandering Regen bicycle path and cycling eight extra kilometers. 

A bonus in Cham - our first stork sighting
Heart 7 Comment 0
Following the pretty Regen
Heart 3 Comment 0
Another stork!
Heart 3 Comment 0
The Regen
Heart 2 Comment 0
Another view from the Regen Valley
Heart 2 Comment 0
This time we are not on a rail trail but are following the train line for a while.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Wayside color
Heart 3 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltSpent too much time trying to figure these out, but my best guess matching photos online is yellow loosestrife and purple loosestrife.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lysimachia_vulgaris

http://www.overthebrink.com/flora/Flowers/Purple%20Loosestrife/PurpleLoosestrife.html
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Bill ShaneyfeltThanks, that looks correct to me! I never heard the name in German, but that doesn'tmean much.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 3 Comment 0
These paths are for cyclists - much has been done in the region to attract bicycle tourism.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Bad Kötzting is a spa town and as most spas, it has a large, carefully tended park. We stopped for a few more pictures. It wouldn't make much difference now if we got wet so close to our hotel.

Park in Bad Kötzting
Heart 5 Comment 1

Although I wore my rain jacket all day, mainly for warmth, not a drop of rain fell - until we parked our bikes at the door of our hotel! 

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 68 km (42 miles)
Total: 127 km (79 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Nancy GrahamI just found your journal — we have been away for a couple of days. What a fantastic birthday gift for Janos!!!!!! Happy Birthday Janos.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Janos KerteszTo Nancy GrahamDanke schön, Nancy!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Nancy GrahamTo Janos KerteszGern geschehen, Janos ;’-). (I hope that is correct and that I am not cursing you.)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago