Day 1: Regensburg - Neunburg vorm Wald - Bavarian Forest Tour - CycleBlaze

June 30, 2022

Day 1: Regensburg - Neunburg vorm Wald

It's a birthday ride, but not the usual kind of birthday ride where you ride your age in kilometers or even miles, but a birthday present for Janos. What better way to celebrate your 84th birthday than with a little tour I thought, so I concocted a four-day ride in the Bayerischer Wald/Bavarian Forest, starting on June 30, Janos's birthday. 

The Bavarian Forest is an area extending about 100 kilometers along the Czech border and together with the Bohemian Forest is the largest forest in Europe. I was looking for  wide open, thinly populated spaces, hills and views, quiet roads.

It was a one-and-a-half hour's drive to Regensburg, our jumping off point. From the car window I saw along side the fields of hops were vast fields of solar panels, more than I had ever come across before. The sun was shining bright and they must have been busy collecting. But they are an eye sore in the otherwise gentle farmland.

Once in Regensburg we found a small side street in a residential area where we would leave the car. It was already noon and getting hot. We didn't get a very early start. From the outskirts of the city we cycled to the historic center, stopping first for a coffee (and use of the caffe's WC). Regensburg's bicycle lanes and the use of Komoot made the ride into town smooth sailing.  

The Bavarian Forest
Heart 0 Comment 0
We leave our car in a residential side street in the south of Regensburg
Heart 4 Comment 0
Alles Gute zum Geburtstag - Birthday boy gets many phone calls.
Heart 8 Comment 2
Kathleen JonesAlles gute, Janos!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Janos KerteszTo Kathleen JonesDanke schön!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Just some flowers and my bike, while we are having coffee
Heart 5 Comment 0
Construction going on, Regensburg cathedral
Heart 3 Comment 0
A bike portrait
Heart 9 Comment 0
Ride through Regensburg, not stopping much because it is already getting hot.
Heart 8 Comment 0

After about ten kilometers we are out of the fringe of Regensburg and see fields of grain and corn.

We cross the Steinerne Brücke over the Danube leaving Regensburg, the oldest bridge on the Dnube.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 1
Heart 4 Comment 0

In the course of the day our route take us on the long and gentle climbs of two different rail-trails and on various bicycle paths. We follow the Regensburg-Falkenstein Radweg to about kilometer 25 before we branch off to the north for a nice downhill stretch and then eventually pick up the Regensburg-Schwarzach Radweg which will climb again until shortly before our destination.

Local history
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
Not always paved
Heart 7 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltBut smooth enough to ride upon. :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Former train station Hauzendorf, now a "bicycle station"
Heart 4 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltGood use of the old train station. :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Train station clock
Heart 5 Comment 2
Charmaine RuppoltWas the clock still functioning? :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Charmaine RuppoltI don't think so.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
I can handle this kind of gravel.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Many kilometers markers on the path - this is kilometer 9.6.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Big bike
Heart 5 Comment 0

We started late and we finished late. I think we got to Neunburg vorm Wald after five. Just time to shower before dinner. We sat in the beer garden of our hotel as it was still very warm (especially in our room) and were surprised to find an interesting menu, a notch up from the usual pork roast and schnitzel. Not that we don't enjoy the typical Bavarian fare, but something special seemed appropriate for a birthday. 

All in all, a very happy bithday and a great day on our bikes. 

Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 59 km (37 miles)
Total: 59 km (37 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 14
Comment on this entry Comment 23
Scott AndersonSo why did you wait until the day after his birthday to announce this tour? Alles Gute zum Geburtstag, Janos! Es tut uns leid, dass wir einen Tag zu spät sind, aber es ist wirklich Suzannes Schuld. Die besten Wünsche für das kommende Jahr!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonHappy birthday Janos!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Tricia GrahamType your comment here
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Tricia GrahamTo Tricia GrahamWhat a wonderful sounding trip. It is coming at just the right time for me as it gives me something to enjoy as I lie in hospital recovering from repairs to ruptured hip tendons and thinking (dreaming) that by next spring we will be touring again. It could be a great 84th birthday present for me! Have lots of fun and I hope the weather is not too hot
Tricia
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesA very happy (belated) birthday, Janos. Have a wonderful birthday tour and many more birthdays and tours to come. Steve and Dodie
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Susan CarpenterHappy Birthday Janos! Wonderful way to celebrate
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rich FrasierHappy birthday, Janos! Looking forward to following this adventure!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
david alstonDavid Alston

Happy Birthday Janos! You are showing us what it means to be forever young. Have a good tour.
David and Maun
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Mike AylingMany happy returns Janos!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rich HarrellHappy Birthday Janos!! I too, will be looking forward to following along.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Gregory GarceauHappy Birthday to Janos. And, Suzanne, I don't think you could have given a better birthday present than a bike tour.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Tricia GrahamSorry to hear you're in the hospital. Hope you recover quickly, Tricia!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Tricia GrahamTo Suzanne GibsonThankyou Suzanne I am absolutely fine and this tuneup will mean I can tour again
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Janos KerteszTo Scott AndersonDanke schön, Scott!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Janos KerteszTo Gregory GarceauDanke schön, Gregory!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Janos KerteszTo Rich HarrellDanke schön, Rich!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Janos KerteszTo Mike AylingDanke schön, Mike!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Janos KerteszTo david alstonDanke schön, David!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Janos KerteszTo Rich FrasierDanke schön, Rich!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Janos KerteszTo Susan CarpenterDanke schön, Susan!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Janos KerteszTo Steve Miller/GrampiesVielen Dank!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Janos KerteszTo Rachael AndersonVielen Dank, Rachael!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Rich HarrellHi Rich! Just looking for a way to contact you! This is an old journal. As you have noticed, Cycle365 is now defunct. None of us was sure we had a working email for you to inform you on our new solution. If you get this and feel so inclined, you can contact me at suzannegibson at arcor dot de. We miss you!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago