Day 2: A Loop Around Tegernsee - Bavarian Getaways - CycleBlaze

June 2, 2021

Day 2: A Loop Around Tegernsee

A beautiful day, sunny but not too warm. I went to bed yesterday worried that a day of cycling could make me feel so exhausted. But I wake up feeling refreshed and eager to get on my bike and by the end of the day I am still feeling fine. I think it was the first-day-out syndrome.

This is where our bikes spent the night.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Our plan is to ride a loop around Tegernsee, a lake to the south of Sachsenkam. The route provides plenty of diversity: smooth surfaces, bumpy paths, woods, splendid views to the mountains, fields of wild flowers, a steep climb, a church, a lake.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Approaching Waakirchen
Heart 5 Comment 2
Kathleen JonesThat’s a great name. Was ist “Waa”?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Kathleen JonesProbably derived from the name Wachar, a bishop (?) in the early Middle Ages, who made a donation ... that's all the information I could glean from the internet.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Traditional house facade in Waakirchen, the former Gasthof Blauer Bock, today Ristorante/Pizzeria San Martino
Heart 1 Comment 0
Detail from one of the houses in Waakirchen of the traditional south German fresco painting, "lüftelmalerei"
Heart 4 Comment 0

Before we reach the lake, we have a short 11% climb at Marienstein. I am distressed that my e-bike is not performing properly, not for the first time, and only gives me minimal support. I have to get off and push the heavy thing. I am glad that we are riding without panniers. Unfortunately the descent was a very rough cobbled surface and the way down wasn't as exhilirating as I felt I deserved.

We arrive at the lake and have a bike path next to the road for the first kilometers, but the shore is not accessible until we reach Bad Wiessee, a town known for its many wellness and spa hotels and rehab clinics. Here we have memories - twice Janos spent several weeks here for rehab after having total knee replacements. Very successful ones, I might add, probably thanks to the intensive rehab therapy.

We ride on, looking for a picnic spot. We still have some sandwiches left over from yesterday.

This looks like a good place for our picnic.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThat's a lovely spot for a picnic!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Too windy and chilly for swimming - across the lake on the east shore is the town Tegernsee and Tegernsee Abbey
Heart 1 Comment 0
A summer vacation atmosphere
Heart 3 Comment 0

We circle around the southern tip of the lake and stop for a look at the church of Tegernsee Abbey. There are more tourists here and lots of traffic through the town. The abbey itself now houses a restaurant and a school.

Interior of St. Quirin's, former abbey church
Heart 1 Comment 0
Detail from the interior of St. Quirin's
Heart 1 Comment 0
Church doors
Heart 3 Comment 0

The return trip is a prettier route. Our bike path stays close to the lake, and the open views on quiet roads between mowed fields are lovely.

Returning along the east side of the lake
Heart 3 Comment 0
Wide open views on the way back
Heart 4 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltNothing like Wide Open Spaces! :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
1,000 Years Sachsenkam
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today we cycle the short distance to the beer garden at Kloster Reutberg. Fortunately we are early, otherwise we might have had a problem getting a table without a reservation. We actually get about the best seats in the house, on the edge of the terrace with a perfect view to the Alps.

Evening view from our table
Heart 4 Comment 1
Scott AndersonLooks OK. Just OK.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
No words needed
Heart 5 Comment 0
End of another beautiful day
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 47 km (29 miles)
Total: 100 km (62 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0