Day 1: To Otterfing - More Pedaling in Bavaria - CycleBlaze

July 16, 2019

Day 1: To Otterfing

Just a week ago we explored the area to the west of our home. This week we had another two-day tour in mind, but to the east. We left our little Würm Valley and made our way to the larger Isar River which flows from the Alps to the Danube. The waters of the Würm will eventually join the Isar by way of a detour taken to the Amper and also feed the mighty Danube. Travelling overland we will cycle 15 km to the Isar, but we have no intention of following it to the Danube. Our modest goal for the day is Otterfing.

Otterfing is not as obscure as last week's goal, I had heard of it since it is a station on the city train line. The village seemed to be about the right distance for a day's ride and had a guest house, that's all we needed. We didn't expect any sights and there weren't any. The weather was again perfect, our bags were light. We decided we didn't need rain gear - and we were right.

We knew we wouldn't be able to check in before 5 p.m. so we did our best to get a late start. This gave me a lot of time to fiddle around with my GoPro for selfies, and also to test Janos's patience. I have some shots which are more amusing but my vanity won't allow me to post them.

Here we are, ready to roll. And testing the GoPro for selfies. I used a very light little tripod (GorillaPod) that wraps its legs around things, in this case the gate.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is still on the edge of Gauting, our home territory. We haven't gotten tired of it yet.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This is what comes after the open fields. We're not tired of this, either. Actually, it seems we have some of the prettiest countryside before we have even covered 4 km.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We stopped here for some picture taking. See the GoPro on the handlebars, and the handlebars sans handlebar bag. It would have been in the frame of the wide angle GoPro. I'm using a cargo bag instead and it has worked out well. (Is anyone really interested in all this GoPro stuff???)
Heart 5 Comment 5
Suzanne GibsonTo Kathleen JonesOk, then next time some more. :)
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonNo, not really. We’re tired of hearing about gopros.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Scott AndersonNot true, Scott! Besides, no stopping me now!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Karen PoretAnother vote for “go pro”..as in. “Go pro, take a photo”..
Our tour four years ago listed this comment as a clue for my husband !
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Zooming along on an excellent bicycle path. Sometimes I set the GoPro to take a picture every 20 seconds to document the ride when I don't feel like stopping, particularly when there is nothing notable to take a picture of except the road. Sometimes I set it to just take single photos when I press the button. Not many videos yet.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We descend to Schäftlarn Abbey on a steep road with a few hairpins. The video of the descent was totally unimpressive. The Benedictine monastery was founded in 762.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Kathleen JonesI have an aunt who's a Benedictine nun. Aunt Kathleen in fact. Her monastery in northwestern Missouri was founded by nuns from Switzerland in the 1800s. But 762!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Kathleen JonesHow interesting, and what a contrast that must have been from Switzerland to Missouri.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
The present abbey buildings were constructed in 1707. The church of Saint Denis, built as the abbey church, is a beautiful example of southern German Rococo.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Monasteries usually had breweries and Schäftlarn was no exception. There is no longer a brewery here, but the restaurant remains. We stopped at its beer garden for lunch.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We have crossed the Isar and now follow a tranquil road along the Isar Canal.
Heart 6 Comment 0
The Ickinger Wehr: Bridge over the Isar but we don't want to go back to the other side. Our route follows the river upstream for about 12 km before we climb out of the valley.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The day is warm and the lake tempts us. But then the squeals of the kids who were at the edge and getting up their courage to plunge in made it clear that the water was very cold.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The lovely little chapel St. Leonhard in Harmating
Heart 1 Comment 0
A welcome photo bomber improves my not so interesting picture - better than if I had planned it.
Heart 2 Comment 0
No longer on bicycle paths, we ride on roads with almost no traffic and views over the fields - cycling at its best.
Heart 4 Comment 0
We take a detour. As we approach Otterfing, the traffic increases. The cars are driving fast and we have no shoulder. Although the drivers are generally considerate and accustomed to cyclists on the road, I prefered the track across the fields.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Back on smaller paved roads, we experience a traffic jam. The lady farmer with her bike swatted the cows and urged them to pick up their pace, but to no avail. The cars had to be patient.
Heart 4 Comment 0
End of the day, herding the cows home from the pasture
Heart 4 Comment 4
Susan CarpenterI'm always enchanted when encountering a herd of farm animals traversing the same small country road, even if it means moving at a "cow's pace"
Great photos!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Susan CarpenterThanks, Susan! This was kind of the highlight of my day,too.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Charmaine Ruppolt"Until the cows come home!" :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Karen PoretTo Charmaine RuppoltAgreed! You have to just wait your turn..:)
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 47 km (29 miles)
Total: 47 km (29 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Tricia GrahamYou are having such fun with your camera and the pictures are lovely it makes me feel excited to see them and the lovely weather that awaits us
Our transport to the airport will be here in a couple of hours
Tricia
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Tricia GrahamBon voyage, Tricia and Ken!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Nancy GrahamYes, I am interested in all that GoPro stuff! In fact, I would like more info about it. ;-)
You are so right about having such beauty so near your home, and I would never tire of it either.
Great photos. Do you no only use the GoPro, or are some of you photos taken with your other more traditional camera?
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Nancy GrahamActually, most of my photos are with my regular camera. I was thinking of adding to the captions which camera I am using. The gopro is great for certain situations, otherwise limited.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago