Rejoining the Amber Route (Eurovelo 9) - All Roads Lead to Italy - CycleBlaze

August 20, 2017

Rejoining the Amber Route (Eurovelo 9)

Vienna to Weiner Neustad

Riding through a huge city like Vienna was very easy. The excellent network of bike paths and good signage helped us to get all the way through Vienna. Oh to experience this ease in the larger cities at home.

Getting back on the Amber Route is not going to be as easy a ride as the Danube Route. The 1000 metre(3000 ft.) climb in the middle is the highest point on the entire route from the Baltic to the Adriatic Sea. It looks like a nasty climb.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The first big hill of the day.... getting out of the hotel garage.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It was great staying in a hotel that was situated where we could easily ride to the many wonderful sights of Vienna. The Senator Hotel is located in the Hernals neighbourhood. The first night we rode the tram in to the centre and we noticed the number of cyclists, so we decided to ride our bike to tour. It is so much better for us to tour a city by bike. We're kind of like ducks out of water, when we have to walk, we feel less agile and we suffer!!
Heart 1 Comment 0
In Vienna, everywhere you look, there are magnificent sights and architectural wonders. Nonetheless, this simpler church caught our eye - we liked the rooster windvane and the evidence of the old roof tiles. This was by our hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Next to our hotel was an amazing Turkish restaurant with a large clientele of Serbs and Turks. They offered amazing food at good prices - we ate every dinner here. This photo shows the salad bar which you have with your entree.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We needed more days here to sample everything - we loved their roast chicken, but their stuffed peppers and lamb looked yummy.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And here we are outside our favourite eatery in Vienna - Huhnerparadies "Chicken Paradise". The food, smells and service reminds us of our love of travelling in Turkey - and it is so affordable
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is typical of the street in Vienna where we stayed. The trams are an important travel network throughout the city. As cyclists we learn not to get our trailer tires caught in the tracks.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Vienna Opera House is an iconic image of this city. One day I will return here and tour the opera house and perhaps even see a live performance.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Throughout the summer, the grounds of the Rathaus are used for a film festival and food vendors do a good business. It is slow now as it is early Sunday, but in the evening when there are films, it is very busy.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another example of the excellent infrastructure for cycling in Vienna. We had imagined that it might be challenging, but it works well. On our initial ride to the hotel when we arrived, we had to learn how to navigate around the trams and how to access the bike lanes, but it is surprisingly efficient for such a large city.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another view of the Opera House.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Throughout the historical section of Vienna are these free drinking water stations for thirsty tourists.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Great signage - here we go on Eurovelo 9 which will take us south through the hill of Austria to Slovenia.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is part of the Eurovelo 9 route through Vienna - we appreciate the wide cycling path separated from traffic.
Heart 1 Comment 0
As we rode out of Vienna, we found this small coffee/cake cafe on a street corner. We love this kind of place that is a small, locally owned cafe with homemade goodies. We decided to enjoy a slice of sacher torte and a piece of cake (similar to a cake Cora makes) with a fine cup of coffee before we left Vienna.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are now in the countryside south of Vienna and it is lunch time.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Such kindness from this man as he rode with us to ensure that we found our way.The route confused us a few times as it led us to tunnels below a river or street and we were faced with stairs to go back up. This man came to our rescue twice and showed us the right way to go.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
After we left Vienna, we were riding along the canal and met this man. He was most excited to meet us as his brother lives in Sooke BC and he has visited him there (close to our home). He said that his favourite places in BC were the small islands. When we told him that we live on a small island, he told us, I will call my brother to tell him that I have met you!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Well, you don't see this everyday.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Pack llama in training.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The large bottle contains pumpkin oil which is very popular in Austria. It is to be added to the salad, which we did and the results were delicious.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltInteresting - haven't heard of pumpkin oil before!
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Tasty
Heart 1 Comment 0
We had a great meal here - this restaurant is at the airfield.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It's pretty cute, but I don't think he will fit.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 65 km (40 miles)
Total: 1,482 km (920 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0