Weiner Neustad to Aspang Markt - All Roads Lead to Italy - CycleBlaze

August 21, 2017

Weiner Neustad to Aspang Markt

We had a great day of riding except for the high winds that we battled. Just like yesterday, the headwind and side wind challenged us at times, but we are very much enjoying the ride through this beautiful place.
For much of the day we followed a river and small canals. It was charming.

Well, it was a bit bizarre trying to find this hotel yesterday. As we mentionned, the winds were fierce and hard to pedal through. We were in the middle of nowhere it seemed and Google Maps kept telling us that the hotel was here, but we were in an industrial wasteland in a parking lot....and then we finally found it behind another Win Hotel (not budget) in the industrial area. What a good bargain - 39 euros, including breakfast and newly opened earlier this month. The only problem was the owner who seemed to have a short fuse and was quite aggressive with us about out bike. He overrode the clerk (his son) about our bike storage and when we returned from dinner, he insisted that our bike should be left outside in the parking lot. We refused and we finally got to put Seavo inside.

Nonetheless, we had a good stay here and it was such good value.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This village had nice wood carvings along the route.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A covered bridge over the river.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Bad Erlach, one of the many spa towns along this EV9 Thermendor route.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We had considered staying here and going to the spa for some hours of R&R in the many pools and saunas, but the steep price of accomomdation and entry to the spa changed our minds. 33 euros each for the spa is more than we pay for a hotel room. We are hoping to find one that is not so fancy and exclusive.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pitten, this small village is gearing up for its 1150 year celebration in 2019. Wow.
Heart 1 Comment 0
At Pitten, this church is built in to the side of the hill and at the base of the castl
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A quirky way to mount a clock at an artist's house.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We don't know what castle this is - it just appeared at the top of the cliff as we were riding along the river.
Heart 0 Comment 0
As you probably gathered, we love animals and especially cats. This cat was not bothered by us at all.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A bike friendly place to stop for refreshment and bike repairs.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We were fascinated watching this tractor cutting hay on this steep field.
Heart 0 Comment 0
"the little tractor that could"
Heart 1 Comment 0
This EV9 map shows our route from the Baltic to the Adriatic.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We have seen this beverage all over Austria and we finally tried it - it is quite good and like ginger ale (with a bit of lemon). It is very good.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 48 km (30 miles)
Total: 1,530 km (950 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0