From One Peace Church to Another Peace Church - All Roads Lead to Italy - CycleBlaze

July 29, 2017

From One Peace Church to Another Peace Church

We finally left our charming hotel in Jawor.  We are getting accustomed to the reasonable prices in Poland, but it still seems unbelievable  that we are only paying 50 euros for such a marvelous experience with amazing staff and amenities.  But, it is time to move on, the weather is better and we have to get back on the road. Our first stop of the day was the main post office in Jawor. We had gone tbrough our trailer and had weeded out all the items that we felt weren't absolutely neceessary. Our goal was to reduce the weight of the trailer. In the end we mailed an 8 lb. box back to Georg and Cora's house. The trailer feels much lighter.
Once again, we have abandoned our prepared GPS track and are finding our way on secondary roads with a map and Garmin Base Camp. We are choosing rural routes with villages along the way. We are loving it.

Our final breakfast at Hotel Jawor. Delicious!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lovely original artwork throughout, and many touches such as persian carpets to make it feel homey and special.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Plus a jacuzzi in the bathroom that felt wonderful. We want one of these at home as Barry could actually stretch out in it.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We had two different rooms at the hotel. This was an amazing room, but the photo can't do it justice - we also had a seating area with a leather couch, a reading area under a skylight. Very comfortable indeed.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our wonderful waitress who served us and prepared breakfast every morning.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The owner of the hotel on the left and his nephew in the middle
Heart 0 Comment 0
Barry at the post office where we mailed stuff we weren't using back to Cora and Georg's house.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We passed through an area that is famous for granite. Love the zipper
Heart 0 Comment 0
The second Peace Church that we have seen in Poland. This one is in Swidnica.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An organist was playing on this beautiful pipe organ as we wandered around. This organ is reputed to be one of the best organs in Poland. The sound was rich and had lovely tone.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The organist creating magical sounds from the organ
Heart 1 Comment 0
A view of the altar and the pulpit - as well the painted ceilings and galleries are notable. This Church of Peace was the last of the 3 to be built and they benefited from the challenges faced in Jawor and Glogow. All of these churches had an additional restriction imposed by the Emperor - they had to have the church consecrated and "finished" within one year. They all managed to do this.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Sands of time were used so that the priest did not talk too long during the sermon
Heart 1 Comment 0
The painted panel on the front of the box designated this as a seating area for nobility
Heart 0 Comment 0
Prime box seating for the nobility.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
There is an annual Bach music festival which is held at the Peace Church. We were so lucky that we were there when the group for tonight's concert was doing a rehearsal. The vocals and harmonies of the 8 vocalists were superb.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The small baroque group rehearsing for this evening's performance
Heart 0 Comment 0
It was so exciting to see this group perform in a such a wonderful and beautiful place
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltAlways neat to take in a local concert! :)
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
A view of the back of the Peace Church in Swidnica.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We never tire of seeing storks...
Heart 1 Comment 0
...who are clearly not afraid of heights
Heart 1 Comment 0
Architectural styles in Poland are quite varied. We liked the dramatic image of the roofline against the sky.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We are continuing to find interesting places to stay at a bargain price on booking.com. We were sceptical as the description and low price seemed too good to be true. We are staying at Villa Bergera - a castle from the 19th century. A good breakfast (yummy Polish scrambled eggs, etc) - a bargain at 35 euros and a lot of character and charm too. With original artwork, ornate wood carving details on the doors and railings, period details in the plaster...we felt like we were in a museum, with a homey quality.
There was a wedding being catered in the ballroom when we arrived. Lots of excitement.

Our room is the small dormer window to the left of the tower.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 72 km (45 miles)
Total: 786 km (488 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0