A Hot Hilly Ride to Nysa - All Roads Lead to Italy - CycleBlaze

July 30, 2017

A Hot Hilly Ride to Nysa

Our hotel last night was in a 19th century castle that has been well maintained. We only paid 34 euro for a small but character filled room, a unique experience and a good cooked breakfast to order. The weather remains very hot - we will need to take care on today's ride.
Today is Sunday, and we have learned while in Poland, that Sunday is the best day for cycling. The roads are quiet, the big trucks are at home, and families are socializing. A lazy relaxed kind of day. 

It is a hot sultry start to the day - it feels like it will be a scorcher again.

Last evening after dinner, we wandered the area around our hotel/castle and were surprised to see such decay and crumbling buildings. We had read about the architecture and interesting areas of Dzierzoniow. This church and flower lined street are adjacent to the main square...and our sources were right. The old centre of town is very lovely..
Heart 0 Comment 0
When the weather gets hot in Poland the firemen connect this device up to fire hydrants. You can walk through or stand still like this gentleman is doing. A fine cooling mist of water sprays around you.
Heart 1 Comment 0



On the Ratsusz (town hall), the crests for Poland and Dzierzoniow are displayed.
Heart 0 Comment 0
While Mary Ellen was in the tourist office, I noticed these people checking out our bike.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another outstanding Polish tourist office. They printed off a variety of Google Map routes for us. Konrad and Krysia chose some wonderfully scenic and quiet secondary roads for us to get to Nysa.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It is not surprising that Polish people are proud of their Polish born pope. We see many statues of him in the villages.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The weather is very hot and it is only midmorning. So, we found the nearest ice cream shop, and there are many to choose from, and hunkered into some delicious ice cream.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Well, you don't see this every day.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Once again we have created a route winding through the countryside following secondary roads. We continue to find Polish people very patient with us and friendly. So many cars slow down, take a good look and wave, cheer or clap as they pass us. We often hear them shout: "Kanady" (Polish for Canada).

The scenery is excellent. We had been climbing for some time and the view was in all directions. We were at the top!
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is typically of scenes in southern Poland: hilly landscapes with stone barns.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We found the scenery today to be quite varied and hilly. It is hard to capture the beauty of the landscape in our photos.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 75 km (47 miles)
Total: 861 km (535 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0