A Beautiful ride Along the Oder River - All Roads Lead to Italy - CycleBlaze

July 19, 2018

A Beautiful ride Along the Oder River

We love the adventure of travelling and not always knowing where we will end up at the end of the day. For us, this is  freedom. doing whatever is right for the day. We would like to camp, but when camping is not  close to where we need to stop for the day, we feel lucky to find a Pension on a farm with such warm hospitality. There are many days and weeks ahead to camp

Fred Lehman, the proprietor is a wonderful cook and interesting to talk to. We learned much about the region and its history from him. A good start to the day.
Heart 1 Comment 0
How did they know we were coming?....a bathroom built for tandem riders.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltI've never seen a bathroom with TWO toilets in it!
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
The cat "Tiger" was very proud of himself as he had killed a large mole last night and left it as a present for his people to admire. What an affectionate cat.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Barry and our genial host Fred - a fine chef and raconteur. The farm has been in his family for generations. His brother runs the farm and Fred does the Pension and Bauernschanke. The cat is shared!
Heart 0 Comment 0
We always enjoy staying in locally run pensions - satisfied customers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fred watering the flowers at the front of the Bauernshanke's pub/restaurant.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Fire Station in Naundorf with an unoccupied stork nest.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Barry to the rescue! When it's hot, ice cream always helps.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Signage along the Oder Neisse Radweg is very good. The cycle path follows the river for 600 km from its source in the Czech Republic to the Baltic Sea.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A stork on a mission...(sharing the area with hundreds of sheep)
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fred recommended that we should go and see the Kloster in Neuzelle on our way to Eisenhuttenstadt. As well there is a Brauerai which makes exceptional beer. It sounds like it is worth the detour.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Kloster is visible from a distance. It is one of the only baroque churches left in this part of Germany.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Surrounding the pipe organ are several figures playing instruments - we were charmed by this one.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The baroque Kloster is well worth a visit.

When we visited the Kloster in Melk, Austria, it was described to us as "baroque gone balmy" and we think that this church in Neuzelle fits the same description. When you enter, it is hard to know where to look. It pays to just sit down and try to take it in.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWow -- what a church!!
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
As you slowly stroll through and take in the details, wonderful emotive figures like this one have an impact.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We need help remembering whose head is on the platter.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltJohn the Baptist?
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Barry taking Seavo to see the Klosterbraurerai.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We're wondering if this Anti-Aging beer is what we should have in our water bottles on the bike.
Heart 1 Comment 0
And then you cross the courtyard to the Brauerai for something lighter like the poster advertising their beer.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It is probably no surprise that we had to sample the brew.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 59 km (37 miles)
Total: 332 km (206 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0