We Ride to Frankfurt on the Oder - All Roads Lead to Italy - CycleBlaze

July 20, 2017

We Ride to Frankfurt on the Oder

We asked at the tourist information at the Kloster about accommodation in the area. Unfortunately, there were no campgrounds in the vicinity (the one advertised on the sign is no longer there) and the forecast was for extreme thunderstorms. We booked a room in a woman's home a few kms from the Kloster. Wow, did we ever luck out. For 50 euros we had a huge luxurious room with an adjoining bathroom with a tub. The breakfast was one of the best we have ever had.It was especially good to be in a building as the thunder/lightning rain storm overnight was very heavy and close. We could feel the thunder moving across the sky as we lay in bed. Not a desirable night to be in a tent.

Breakfast at this Pension was truly exceptional. We would never have found it as it is located in a small village without signage and there are no tourist services or shops in town. Thanks to the Tourist Info at the Kloster we ended up here. We continue to be very pleased by the reasonable pricing in this area.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our hosts were very welcoming.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This abandoned factory had an apocalyptic feel to us. It is a remnant of the GDR era and has an eerie yet commanding presence.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And now, only the heron inhabits the area by the abandoned factory.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Looking across the Oder River to Poland - so close yet so far. We have just found out from a fellow cyclist that there are only a few bridges left on the Oder which allow us to cross over. There is one in Guben (a few days ago) and the next is in Frankfurt (Oder). Oh dear, we had planned to cross over at Eisenhuttenstadt as it looked like there is a bridge there. Guess we will ride another day to Frankfurt. It is a stark reminder of WWII to see the remains so many bridges along the way that were

Oder River - looking across to Poland
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are enjoying riding along the dyke on a wonderful paved surface. The man coming up behind us will join us for a break later.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And here he is: Hans Mueller who lives in a village along the Oder. You can see how hot it is. This retired fellow said that he was out for his daily ride. I am loving my new Terry "cool" top with special SPF protection.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Barry invited Hans to join us for coffee and we enjoyed our visit with him. We had a conversation about the merits of being retired.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We stopped here with Hans to have coffee and share some apple strudel.
Heart 1 Comment 0
As we were leaving, the Bakery van made a stop so we bought buns for our lunch. It was a well stocked bakery and deli - very convenient service for cyclists.
Heart 1 Comment 0
You've got to love Germany - a bakery wherever you are.
Heart 1 Comment 0

As if the day couldn't get any better, we came upon this very hard working sheep dog with his shepherd and large group of sheep. We discovered that they had been making their way along the dyke and had cut/eaten the grass and left behind the thistles. They did a good job and were kept in strict formation by the dog.

The sheep dog was dripping in sweat and very focussed on his task.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We were tempted to take a video as the sound of the sheep munching on the grass was a most pleasing sound
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltOh yes, sheep ripping/eating grass is quite a sound!
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
We continually ran in to this German couple cycling the Oder Neisse to the Baltic. We think we saw them at least 6 times. We parted ways in Frankfurt on the Oder as they were continuing north to the Baltic Sea.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Tourist Office in Frankfurt - Matthew was clearly a history major at University and spoke English well. We learned much about Frankfurt and its history
Heart 0 Comment 0

After a brief visit to Poland (Sludice) and lunch in the park, we came back to Frankfurt to stay the night. Once again, thunder storms are coming. We can feel the oppressive humidity of an approachig storm...and yes, it came with a venegance. 

We enjoyed having a balcony with a view of the river (and its breezes).
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 60 km (37 miles)
Total: 392 km (243 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0