Sightseeing in Ravenna: Exceptional mosaics....mosaics....and more mosaics - Italy Bound with our Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

September 23, 2015

Sightseeing in Ravenna: Exceptional mosaics....mosaics....and more mosaics

Ravenna is an amazing city.
The city has been recognized by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site and eight Early Christian monuments of the city have been added to the UNESCO World Heritage List. Each of these monuments dates back to the 6th century. The history and age of these buildings themselves are extraordinary, but the real treasure lies in the mosaics that have survived since Roman times. These mosaics are considered to be the finest works of their kind that remain in the world.
We bought a combined ticket to five of the churches for 9.50 euros each. The ticket is good for 7 days and allows a single entry to each of the 5 monuments. It is one of the best values we have found. Since we have decided to stay here a few days and enjoy the sights and ambience of Ravenna, we can take our time and not rush through these outstanding buildings.
Like Verona and Ferrara, strolling through the streets of Ravenna is a wonderful thing to do. There is a charm and grace to this city that has held on to its history and yet celebrates the present. Modern sits comfortably alongside the old. The city honours its artistic history with many schools teaching the art of mosaics. And yet, the city is not overrun with tourists or tourist shops. When one is here, you are immersed in a working city, sharing the sights and streets with the residents - it feels real. The heritage sites are well maintained but the city has not been artificially beautified for the sake of tourists - and that is the point. It is refreshing to enjoy the amenities tourists enjoy, yet one feels that the integrity of what draws us here has not been compromised.

1. Basilica di San Vitale
Consecrated in 548 AD, it is one of the most important monuments of early Christian art. It is hard to truly capture the beauty of the mosaics in photo, but we tried.

Beginning our tour with Basiclica di San Vitale is like eating the icing before the cake - it is a superb representation of what is to come.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A close up of the domed nave ceiling in the Basilica. There is much symbolism present in all of the murals and they tell a story. We took the time to read our guide and absorb the story each mosaic was telling us.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
These mosaics are so compelling and your eyes are drawn up to the Byzantine imperial couple, Justinian on one wall and Theodore on the facing wall.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Theodore, the wife of Justinian the emperor, is the figure with a halo and jewel collar.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gustav Klimt sat here in the early 1900's and was inspired by the effect of the gold mosaics and strove for this effect in his paintings.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The close up highlights the skill of the mosaic artisan in their lifelike portrayal of Theodore.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A border detail along the edge of the dome features the 12 disciples
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The dome in the centre of the Basilica is a lovely painted mural that is somewhat overshadowed by the sparkle and brilliant colours of the mosaics.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Basilica di San Vitale has been a source of inspiration over the centuries. Charlemagne was so taken with the design and artistry that he took ideas and even the marble off the walls to create his own buildings.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The symbolism of this mosaic featured buildings of Bethlehem and Jerusalem representing the arc of Christ's life.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We loved this ceiling - the angels are supporting the lamb and there are many animals and birds represented. Such intricate patterns and mix of vibrant colours with the gold.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
An unusual image of Jesus, without a beard.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The inlaid and tiled marble floors also were quite beautiful. After 16 centuries,they have aged well.
Heart 0 Comment 0
mosaic floor
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another section of the marble floor.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This section of the dome that features over 67 types of local birds is said to be very accurate. Bird enthusiasts have studied this mosaic and have been able to identify the different types.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Basilica di San Vitali
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The ceiling has over 600 stars in concentric circles around the cross.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This mosaic features a Christian martyr who was being burned to death and his defiance and humour is legend. He is reputed to have said "I'm done on this side, turn me over",
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This pattern seems to be a popular and identifiable image synonymous with the mosaics of Ravenna.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This small mausoleum is rich with images and mosaics as this photo tries to show. The symbolic eagle, lion ox, anchor each corner.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lost in contemplation - the ceiling stretches across the curved ceiling like a persian carpet.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This tiny mausoleum packs quite a punch. Beautiful, somber yet celebratory.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0