A Short Ride to Ravenna - Italy Bound with our Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

September 22, 2015

A Short Ride to Ravenna

We were hoping to get to Ravenna yesterday, but as has been happening more and more, we could not find campgrounds that are still open. So many have closed as of mid September. Plus, we are reading conflicting information on the websites about camping possibilities. We didn't want to arrive in Ravenna at the end of the day needing accommodation as we want to stay here for a few days, so when we saw the Agriturismo sign about 10 km before Ravenna, we pulled in on an impulse...and we are so glad we did.
The couple were celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary with their family and kindly let us stay.
54 euros for a private suite, furnished in their best antiques with a sumptuous breakfast was a special stay for us.

Our host made us an amazing breakfast with many homemade touches. She had made fresh piadinas for us that morning and was showing us how to slice it open and put fresh soft cheese and meat on it.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A special breakfast made for us by a caring host - she made us feel like special guests in her home.
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the end of the meal, she brought us a local liqeur: fresh strawberries soaked in liquor - tasty and very strong.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Natives of this area are justifiably proud of the mosaics in Ravenna. and she was very proud of this mosaic that they had created on their wall.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltHow unusual to have a mosaic created in a wall inside a house!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
We are travelling in Emilia Romagna region and she brought us this cookbook to explain the food that she had prepared for our meal.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Travel is full of wonderful personal connections, perhaps brief, but meaningful, like we experienced here.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A street in Ravenna with our favourite vintage Fiat rolling by.
Heart 0 Comment 0
When we reached Ravenna, we sat down for a coffee and we were so pleased to see Jan and Janet come in. They had just arrived as well. What a chance meeting this is. They are off to Rome and we will stay here for a few days.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We found this bike shop near the train station and what a place. There are rooms like this with bikes in every available space and bike accessories are jammed in wherever possible. We loved it.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The shop is so jammed with bikes that there is just enough room to walk through.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A great place to see bikes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ravenna is one of Italy's most bike friendly cities.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 24 km (15 miles)
Total: 1,525 km (947 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0