From Portomaggiore to an Agriturismo Outside of Ravenna: Meeting New Friends Along the Way - Italy Bound with our Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

September 21, 2015

From Portomaggiore to an Agriturismo Outside of Ravenna: Meeting New Friends Along the Way

We had fresh croissants for breakfast

Breakfast at Locanda del Duomo was tasty but not as hearty as we like with a day of riding ahead of us.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This small 4 room hotel is known for its restaurant and it was a tight squeeze getting our bike through it to its storage space.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This short Italian lady is riding a very small bike - a style of bike we often see.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
It's harvest season and squash is on the menu.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Franscesco at the Tabachie gave us these lovely pears from his garden for our journey.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Barry at the very tall door to our hotel room called Lucrezia.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The owner of the hotel. He spends two weeks of every month in China doing agriculture consultative work.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The local karate club getting ready to demonstrate their skills for the festival
Heart 0 Comment 0
In the town square at Portomaggiore, we stopped to see the local Karate club perform on the stage, and this led to much interest in our bike, particularly from the older man in sunglasses. The funny thing was that he spoke no English and enlisted the help of the cyclist to speak for him - and he did - but in Italian. It was the most confusing thing and funny too.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A Lamborghini tractor at the festival.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWow, I didn't know Lamborghini made tractors!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
This young man called out to us to slow down so that he could take our picture -so I took his picture too!
Heart 1 Comment 0
The dog clearly loves to go for bike rides.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We knew that rain was predicted, and we can see it coming.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Where better to wait out a rain storm than the local Bar. We had a coffee and were befriended by the man standing by our bike. He had raced home to bring us a bike map of this region.
Heart 1 Comment 0
At the Bar, people (mostly the smokers) sit outside, and then the football fans sit in one room watching the game and in another room the car racing fans sit in another. We always choose inside and go to whatever room appeals to us.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We met Jan and Janet from Utrecht who are riding to Rome. We had a good visit while we were waiting for the weather to improve.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Jan rides the well regarded Koga touring bikes - we liked his kickstand.
Heart 1 Comment 0
And the rain won't stop.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It's Sunday and the men come out to watch the game, play cards or just read the newspaper.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We rode for most of the afternoon dodging the dark clouds, and then the skies cleared in time for us to enjoy the beautiful Po Delta.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Po Delta is a wetlands and bird sanctuary. We saw egrets, herons, hawks and large groups of flamingos.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
We have missed taking these small ferries. This ferry took us from the Delta.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our first sighting of the flamingos.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWow, I haven't seen a flock of flamingos in the wild before.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Watching a large group of flamingos fly en masse is a sight we won't forget. We are so lucky that the weather cleared for our visit here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 52 km (32 miles)
Total: 1,501 km (932 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0