To Smithers: a fellow cyclist homestay - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

August 23, 2007

To Smithers: a fellow cyclist homestay

The landscape is changing, we see more farms, rolling fields scattered with huge round hay bales. The shoulder of the road is cluttered with fallen branches from trees.

Our lunch break at Morice town is at a gas station that sells Van Houten coffee (Dutch coffee). We've been told there are a lot of Dutch in the area. Supposedly 40% around Smithers. The first stop into town is the visitors Center. The Municipal campground we've been told by other cyclists is very nice, only no hot showers. The Commercial campground is out of town, so Patrick calls Peter, the obsessed cyclist from the Cassier we met at Bell II, to say we are in town. He still invites us to stay at his place. He had sent an email with directions to his place that we had not received yet...it was after we left Stewart.

With directions we head back the way we came into town after Rachel calls her mom, and we pick up a coke. His place is 3 km back and up a gradual hill (ending with a steep driveway) at the end of the pavement. A beautiful spot with views of mountains. Peter has sheep, chickens and 2 huge vegetable gardens. There is a greenhouse, with lovely tomatoes. Most of Peter's family except for a son is out of town, so he's home alone. When we arrive, he is undercoating the old family van. The roads are heavily salted for snow removal so cars are rusty underneath. Something Rachel recognizes well having grown up in Illinois with the same type of snow removal.

A hot shower, pitch the tent in the yard, pick lettuce and herbs for a salad for supper, laundry done and internet in the evening makes for a nice place to stay. Sasha, their dog, follows us to the tent at bedtime chomping on a bone and making herself at home in the vestibule, sleeping there all night.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 85 km (53 miles)
Total: 13,177 km (8,183 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0