Introduction: Paper journal to Digital - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

Introduction: Paper journal to Digital

In 2006 and 2007, we cycled 13 months from Bali to Boise. First north through Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand and east into SE Asia. Then after Cambodia, Southern Vietnam and Laos, we rode into Yunnan China, across Eastern Tibet (without the Tibetan Travel Permit) from Deqin to Lhasa. The next stage, we rode the Friendship Highway from Lhasa to Kathmandu at the time when this was open to independent travelers. We made a side trip into Mt Everest Basecamp also without a permit.

Flying from Kathmandu to Amsterdam, for a family visit in Holland, we fly via another family visit in Cowden IL, to Anchorage. We took a ride to Prudhoe Bay with two Spanish Basque firefighters and who on the way back dropped us off at the Arctic Circle. We end our ride cycling from the Arctic Circle in Alaska on the Dalton Highway, in Canada via the Icefield Parkway to Missoula finally to home in Boise Idaho. If you have followed our latest journal Racpat RTW (2015-2017) on that other site, you'll recognize the picture of our arrival home from this trip. That journal is now on Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

This was the first trip we used a digital camera, Patrick burned his photos to DVD's and mailed them home to a friend who then downloaded on a small hard drive and uploaded a selection of the photos to a website Picasaweb, in essence our "blog". This site was bought by google and shut down. Our journals were still handwritten in two volumes. Digitalizing the journal seemed like a nice "winter and COVID project" to place our journal on Cycleblaze. Thanks to the administrator, Jeff for making this happen.

The more practical information in this journal is outdated by now, but it might give other travelers some route ideas. And in the re-telling of our tour, the name should have included a warning that we obsessed with food.

Arriving home after 13 months on the road.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0