To Houston Shady Rest RV: rain continues - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

August 24, 2007

To Houston Shady Rest RV: rain continues

There is a light rain just as we wake, but only a brief sprinkle. Peter is up and we say goodbye about 8am. We will do shopping and breakfast in town.

Hunger rules, so our first stop is a cafe with a breakfast special, $5.99 for 2 eggs, hash browns, bacon & toast. We are now going to be in towns with decent grocery stores every few days, so at the supermarket we mainly pick up lunch stuff. As we set out, the rain starts, Peter had mentioned that rain was in the forecast for the next four days. We pass through Telkwa and it seems most of the town is boarded up. It rains off and on now. Traffic is heavy this morning and stretches have no shoulders, not much fun cycling for a while.

After riding in wilderness areas for the last couple of months, it is interesting to see all the farms and ranches. Must be hay baling season, farmers are cutting and baling the tall grass. Quite a few Dutch names on the driveways. We have one major climb to Hungry Hill Summit at about 844 meters then back down to the Bulkley River in Houston. It is just starting to sprinkle as we arrive at the information center. We had been considering taking a room earlier, but there are only three motels in town and rates at high. We hurry on to the campground about 2km East of town hoping we can dry our tent before heavier rain starts.

A very friendly reception awaits us, and we are invited to camp under the picnic shelter! While our tent dries and Rachel takes a shower, Patrick rides back to town to buy some beer. We have pitched our tent now, things are dry, we ate pork chops with mashed potatoes and beans, the beer is all gone.

The rain continued during the afternoon, occasionally looks to be clearing.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 79 km (49 miles)
Total: 13,256 km (8,232 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0