To Muang Khun: lots of climbing - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

February 21, 2007

To Muang Khun: lots of climbing

Even with an early start, we didn't arrive to town until after 4pm. The last little bit is downhill and it is a relief to see Ari and William sitting at the café guesthouse. So, we check into the same one, we are given some hot water in a bucket and wash mandi style...

Today Rachel said, "I thought my mind would snap" (a quote from a person in a group bike tour Patrick did in USA) when we reached the third climb. We started out with a bit of a downhill so no time to warm up for the big climb today, 20km ascent to Muang Phu Khun. The road snaked along the ridge top overlooking deep valleys. The air is a bit hazy, but the views still are spectacular. We have the last of the baguettes when we reach Phu Khan. Patrick walks around the shops asking for bread, there is none. This is the junction to the Plain of Jars. 

After the break we have a 7 km downhill before a 4 km hard climb followed by a 5km hard climb and another 2km moderate climb reclaiming what was lost in a 10km downhill.

The end of the day is one 2 km hard climb stair stepped to a 3 km steep climb. Ari and William caught up with us 20km from Kion Ka Cham. We are in a shop drinking sports drink surrounded by children watching us eat when first William spotted us and came zipping across the road in front of a bus.

They took off and we didn't see them again until the end of the day. This was a tough day and almost one too many hard hills to climb.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 75 km (47 miles)
Total: 5,780 km (3,589 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0