To Kasi: Hot spring at Bor-num-oon Resort - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

February 20, 2007

To Kasi: Hot spring at Bor-num-oon Resort

Our first priority is to find bread for the next couple of days. The bakery is open at 7 and Patrick buys 2 long baguettes and pastries. He puts one baguette longways on each front pannier, he says they are "missile " launchers.

Again, the LP bicycle guidebook describes the route as "not too many hills" that may be but the hills that are there are steep in some places. The scenery is spectacular with tall karst peaks and huge valleys. The wind is against us in the morning. We see more "military" outposts. This section of the road has a history of rebel trouble. We stop in a small village for a break, there are 2 "soldiers" with AK 47s and looks like they are making rounds at the shops coming out with supplies.

Patrick takes lots of pictures today. We are taking a break in another village 20km from Kasi when Ari and William come riding by. They stop, we have been surrounded by children just staring at us while we eat bread and peanut butter. We push on before them and we are in Kasi having another break when just minutes later they arrive. This last bit of road was "relatively" flat and the wind is our friend today. It's 1230-1pm we set off to find the hot springs. First, it seems flat then we start a 6km climb, still the scenery makes it all worthwhile.

Just when we begin to wonder if the information for the hot springs is accurate, and feeling we will never get there, we turn a corner and a small descent and... there is a restaurant...across the road a hot springs pool....and 6 bungalows up the side of the hill. And a police post.

The bungalow is small and cozy. The bed fits in the small space and at the foot is a walking space between the bed and the wall that is lined with our panniers. There are two steps down to the toilet, sink, and shower room. We drink cokes and eat potato chips, at about 3pm we change to our swimsuits and sit in the pool...more warm than hot but very nice on tired muscles. We shower, write in the journal, Patrick copies pictures to DVD's and at 5pm we cross the road for dinner. Pork Pad Thai, Pork & ginger and rice dish, and of course...Beer Lao.

We are happy to be 20km more down the road with the climbs for tomorrow. We are the only foreigners here.

Baguettes like "Missile launchers" in the panniers
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Vegetable growing in a stand
Heart 0 Comment 0
The vegetable stand in the background
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ari and William stop
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bungalows at Bor-num-oon Resort
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Journal writing
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 78 km (48 miles)
Total: 5,705 km (3,543 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0