To Luang Prabang: climb, downhill, climb - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

February 22, 2007

To Luang Prabang: climb, downhill, climb

We had quite the gathering of bicyclists in Kion Ka Cham last night. Us, the two Dutchmen Ari and William and another four riders going south in the guesthouse next door. We are given a thick comforter on our bed, together with our own sheets they make for a good night sleep in our rather basic room.

Today is a big downhill, 1400 meters to 500 meters in 25km took an hour, almost burned Rachel's brake pads. Then we have to regain the altitude loss back up to 1100 meters. Just as we reach the "false summit" William passes us in a village. A little later we are stopped along the road for a break and Ari cycled by. We then look forwards to "mostly downhill" to town.

But it's never all downhill.

There is one last 2 km climb and Rachel is slow. This has been a tough 4 days but really beautiful even with the haze that dampened some of the distant hills. Cycling through villages with houses on the ridge, children running with us (sometimes naked little boys) or holding up their hands for a "high 5". Little glimpses of their lives and how hard they work to have food.

We finally reach town and find a great guesthouse, a little out of the center, but quiet and a courtyard garden. The room with TV with BBC, CNN, HB), Cinemax. It is only 1pm so we go to Jo Ma Bakery for lunch and have Lasagna and salad--very tasty! 

Then...walking by we see Uschi! from Dalat and Nha Trang tours. She joins us briefly and we agree to meet for dinner. We eat together at the IndoChina Spirit restaurant with Lao music and we try some seaweed for an appetizer.

Now we plan our next segment of the trip and decide when to enter China.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 80 km (50 miles)
Total: 5,860 km (3,639 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0