DAY 30: Six Mile Gap Campground to Hot Sulfur Springs (Colorado): "Wildfires and thunderstorms and winds, oh my!" - Bad Tans and Beautiful Legs: Summer on the TransAmerica Trail - CycleBlaze

June 28, 2016

DAY 30: Six Mile Gap Campground to Hot Sulfur Springs (Colorado): "Wildfires and thunderstorms and winds, oh my!"

DAILY STATSTATS

Mileage: 91.42

Average Speed: 11.6mph

Maximum Speed: 36.2mph

I woke up this morning to some good news: the winds shifted overnight, meaning that I didn't have to bike in the smoke today. The downside of this news was that I was faced with some pretty strong headwinds for my first 25 miles or so.

Kyle, Salvador, and I were on the road before 9am and crossed into Colorado after only a few minutes of riding.

State number 5!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Taking a quick break from the wind to admire the Colorado scenery.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After our photo ops with the state sign, we plowed on through the winds. After stopping in Walden, Colorado for smacks, we were told that thunderstorms were on their way. So we high tailed it on the front end of the looming clouds.

Looking back towards the fire and storm clouds.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just keep pedaling, just keep pedaling. Nothing to see.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The clouds provided some much-appreciated shade and breezesome, offering a break from the searing sun. It was still hot, but at least we could escape some of the misery.

We climbed over the continental divide yet again and, luckily for us, the predicted thunderstorms never manifested. From here on out, it was relatively smooth sailing into Hot Sulfur Springs, save for a few minutes of dangerously strong winds from every direction.

We stayed at a free city park, where the mosquitoes were (as usual) ferocious. Tomorrow will take me up towards the highest point of the TransAm, Hoosier Pass. If all goes well, I'll summit it the day after.

How many times will I have to cross this darn divide?!?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gliding down into a new valley is always a blast.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 91 miles (146 km)
Total: 1,978 miles (3,183 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0