In Aubeterre Sur Dronne (a photo gallery) - Three Seasons Around France: Autumn - CycleBlaze

September 26, 2022

In Aubeterre Sur Dronne (a photo gallery)

Aubeterre is a beautiful little place, a perfect spot to while away the afternoon.  I want sure I was going to get a chance to explore it though when Rachael left for a run to the store and almost immediately the sun went behind the clouds.  I was just focusing on the sunlit roses out our window when the sun suddenly disappeared behind the clouds and didn’t reappear for the better part of an hour.

When Rachael returned she brought the sun back with her.  I quickly t9ok a shot of the roses and dashed out the door to see town before it went under cover again.

The view from our window.
Heart 8 Comment 0
Looking across Aubeterre, most of which is down in 5he gap behind the nearest trees. That’s the window of our room down below, with the blue shutters.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Aubeterre - a bit like Barbezieux, but with more colorful shutters and doors.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Some knockers.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Keith Adams'Ats off to Gene Wilder, Teri Garr, and of course Mel Brooks.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
I didn’t realize this at the time but this alley is the shortcut up to our B&B. We walked up this way in the dark after dinner.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Aubeterre’s castle, I think now a private residence.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 4
Keith AdamsAny idea what they were used for?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Keith AdamsHolding flower pots?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Beth ArtThe milk bottles?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Beth ArtOh, I like that.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 3 Comment 0
The church of St Jacques, consecrated in 1171, was built to welcome pilgrims on their way to Santiago de Compostela.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Much of the church was destroyed in the religious wars of the 1500’s, but the original facade survived.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 1
Jacquie GaudetI have to wonder what stories are being illustrated here. I don't think there are centaurs in the Bible.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 8
Gregory GarceauI don't know what it is, but when I see your pictures and Rocky's videos, I can only think about how I want to go to the places you go. They are all so exotic and beautiful. Someday you should write about all the ugly places you've been (if there are any) so I won't be so envious.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
ann and steve maher-wearyYes, what a beautiful town, I echo Gregory's sentiments. I want to follow in your cycle tracks. And we are here in the Pyrenees, your blog is a font of info! Thank you so much.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rich FrasierTo Gregory GarceauGreg -

I think Scott's somehow figured out how to never go anywhere ugly. I want him to plan our next trip!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Gregory GarceauWe’ll, I have a confession to make - we do pass through blighted areas or roadside trash or unpleasant traffic from time to time, but we don’t tend dwell on them so much. We’ve both got pretty robust crap-filters by now and just close our eyes and coast on by, hoping we don’t get hit or crash in the meantime. Arlen and Mercer said it best, I think:

You got to ac-cent-tchu-ate the positive
E-lim-i-nate the negative
And latch on to the affirmative
Don't mess with Mr. In-between.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonOk. Hint though. It won’t include the TGV.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Gregory GarceauTo Rich FrasierRich, I think you might have come up with a post-retirement career for Scott--Bicycle Tour Planner. He could charge top dollar. But then, it's a moot point because he may never retire from touring.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Carolyn van HoeveInspirational indeed. We have much to thank you for Scott & Rachael! We probably wouldn’t have embarked on this tour had it not been for you. And certainly not to some of the places that you’ve led us to. I’m grateful for the day I stumbled upon your journal.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Carolyn van HoeveThank you, Carolyn. I’m so glad your tour is working out for you!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago