Back to France - Three Seasons Around France: Autumn - CycleBlaze

September 11, 2022

Back to France

So, exceeding all expectations we’re back for Act III.  We’re starting our seventh month, having blown past our previously longest unbroken tour: last year’s five month journey from Minneapolis to Rome.  We didn’t really know if we’d make it this far last winter when we started planning this tour, and only bought ourselves a one way flight to Barcelona at first to keep our options open.  I forget now when it was that we committed ourselves to the whole vision and bought tickets for Nice for the flight home; oh, well I do know of course, because we have the email with our ticket confirmation and it’s in the journal: May 29th, back in Joigny when we discovered we could get a bargain rate on a flight home if we acted fast.

There have been some changes to our original plan for this season in France since we posted the original vision, mostly because we decided we wanted to maximize the time we’d spend in the southern gorges - the Dordogne, the Lot, the Tarn and around.  The plan now is to start with about two weeks in Brittany and then take the TGV to Angouleme for the start of a month spent slowly meandering through the gorges, ending in Florac.  We’ve booked our lodging through to there but beyond that we’re waiting until it gets closer and we see what’s happening with the autumn weather and our enthusiasm for cycling.  Stranger things have happened than to find us holed up somewhere on the Mediterranean coast loafing around and staring at the sea for that last month!

So here’s the plan for stage one: Roscoff to Saint-Malo:

Heart 2 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 10
Susan CarpenterBienvenue you two!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Suzanne GibsonLooks like a wonderful start on your third season. I'd love to cycle in Bretagne again. You might find a few steep hills there to keep up your climbing abilities, too.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetI think I rode a fair bit of that route in the other direction. It was beautiful along the coast!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonTo Suzanne GibsonYes, I wouldn’t want to lose my climbing muscles but hopefully, they won’t be as steep! I’m very tired of 17 - 23 percent grades!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonTo Susan CarpenterIt’s nice to be back in France but I’m going to miss being in an English speaking country! I had a lot of wonderful conversations with people!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rich FrasierWelcome back!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Rich FrasierGreat to be here! The UK was fine, but we’ve been missing France.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Graham FinchHave you ever been to Corsica?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Graham FinchYes! Twice - in 2003, at the height of France’s first big heat wave; and again eight years later. The Corsican half of the 2003 tour is posted (as Lavender Fields, Forever), but I never posted the Provence half for some reason. I never posted the second one at all - a loop through Corsica, northern Sardinia, and north on the mainland to Cinque Terre- because I destroyed my LUMIX by throwing it on the rocks on the beach our first night in Corsica and was so disappointed with the photos from the phone camera I shot the rest of the tour with that there was nothing I felt like sharing.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Graham FinchTo Scott AndersonI was going to recommend it as you're heading south. It's a place I'd return to.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago