Day 19 - into and out of Winton - Unfinished Business - CycleBlaze

May 19, 2023

Day 19 - into and out of Winton

The cold wind blew all night. I had a slow start to the day thanks to celebratory photos and the need to toss all of my gear, bike included, back over a fence.

A red-tie and reverse indigo jacket celebration: 2000 km so far
Heart 3 Comment 0

And for those enrolled in camping-101, here is my site, pile of old sleepers in the background. I burnt only 1.5.

Note the pile of sleepers. The tent is slack because I'm taking it down.
Heart 2 Comment 0

The tailwind pushed me into Winton. I even took out my phone and photographed my ride.

Heart 2 Comment 0

Along the way I found crucial evidence for a question I've long pondered- that nicking cars and trashing them out of town is a modern hobby. This vehicle suggests its been popular for much longer than we thought.

Heart 2 Comment 1
Graham SmithThat looks a bit like a London Cab.
Long way to joy ride before dumping it.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

There are constant reminders around Winton that this is dinosaur country. Some most impressive specimens have been unearthed here.

Australovenator was a 500-1000 kg very fast predator. It makes dogs that chase cyclists seem quite mellow.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Winton's the home of Waltzing Matilda so what better place to eat plates of chips than the centre devoted to it? The verse is even etched into the footpath near a sculpture of Banjo Patterson.

A fine building
Heart 3 Comment 0
Banjo Patterson wrote the lyrics to Waltzing Matilda in 1895
Heart 2 Comment 0

I passed other fine buildings as I rode the main street and out once more onto grasslands. There were even musicians playing in random places for the opera were in town.

Heart 3 Comment 0

Just out of Winton I stopped to watch three brolgas and a little further on saw eight bustards. This photo makes them look like WW1 parachutists.

Spot the bustards part 2
Heart 3 Comment 0

Every so often there was a creek with most pleasant vegetation and near the end of my day, a radical change in landscape.

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

It's dodge the spiders at my camp tonight. Great big ones with webs strung all over the show. 

This one guarded my tent
Heart 3 Comment 0

Today's ride: 141 km (88 miles)
Total: 2,155 km (1,338 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Jackie LaycockWow, beats the huntsmen we get at hoem that I introduced to my children as Sweeties (cos you cant be scared of something called Sweetie). I'd be callings these Lady Sweeties, Ma'am.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rob ParnellTen out of ten for variety Ian. Very impressive tripod and TWO billies! luxury!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Ian WallisRob
Thanks for your comment. I like to travel in style!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Ian DouglasPretty sure the only guys with parachutes in WWI were those in observation balloons. Other aircrew were toast. Douglas
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Ian WallisTo Ian DouglasIan
Good hearing from you. Back on the bike a bit more? Ian
Reply to this comment
1 year ago