Day 111 - a day in Bogor's magnificent botanic gardens - Unfinished Business - CycleBlaze

August 19, 2023

Day 111 - a day in Bogor's magnificent botanic gardens

Today's entry, the last of me swanning around, comes with a warning: if you don't like plants then go and do something you do like. Play a computer game, spray some roundup, go to the club, or visit a wellness centre. I won't be offended.

Daisy lives about 20 km from Bogor and so it takes a very long time to travel into town. The arduous journey is terrific because you later appreciate the 87 ha, 200 year old gardens, far more than you would if you lived around the corner.

It was the usual trip by car to this rough as guts bus station, from where we got a bus to the gardens.
Heart 4 Comment 0
That's the least of your worries!
Heart 4 Comment 0
Apologies but I'm on a constant search for more poles and wires.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Great to see discrimination against tall children.
Heart 4 Comment 0
A monument commemorating Olivia Mariamne Raffles, who died of malaria. As I write, very fast mosquitoes are buzzing me!
Heart 5 Comment 2
Ian DouglasDuring the Napoleonic war British occupation of Java? As I recall Raffles made a note of Singapore Island’s possibilities en route from Penang.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Ian DouglasTo Ian DouglasOkay, quod vide.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
A sculpture commemorating the gardens' bicentennial.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Olivia was the first wife of Sir Stamford Raffles, Lieutenant Governor of Java, founder of Singapore, and founder and first president of the London Zoo and the Zoological Society of London. He wrote a history of Java, was a powerful voice against slavery and is responsible for the Bogor Botanic Gardens. He had five children, none of whom survived to reproduce. He packed a lot in before he died on his 45th birthday.

It's easy to find one's way around.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The information is very good.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
The roads through the park attract an annoying number of vehicles.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
The smaller paths are excellent but Melani says there are plans to concrete them.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Heart 5 Comment 0
It's wise to look up from bridges! That's true all over Indonesia. This river has its source near the Puncak Pass, that I cycled over last week.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The gardens border the presidential palace that provides a huge buffer zone to the west.
Heart 3 Comment 0
It's nice to see people sitting back enjoying the place. Indonesia seems rather short of such places.
Heart 3 Comment 0

We met Daisy's friend, Melani, who lives around the corner from the gardens but appreciates them far more than she should. Melani is an academic who has become interested in human ecology. Biology is in her blood- literally. Her mother, a biology teacher, named her Melani when she saw her dark skin as a newborn. Melanin is a group of chemical compounds responsible for skin colour. Anyway, Melani knows much about the gardens, including non-botanical things, and so I was fortunate to be there with her.

Daisy and Melani
Heart 4 Comment 0

Melani could tell us much about what is wrong with the gardens. In an attempt to make the gardens more attractive, they are lighting parts at night. This is disastrous for so many species, including Apis dorsata, the giant honeybee.  It's also disastrous in that only part of the gardens will be listed for World Heritage. Much else that's wrong with the gardens is obvious- too much traffic, people dropping garbage and employees picking it up, and too many vendors including in one area that blasts music.

Food stalls with music blasting
Heart 3 Comment 0
A sign, with obvious advertising, pointing to the Mexican Garden.
Heart 4 Comment 0

One could spend a lifetime visiting the gardens, but it's fair to say that you can see a lot in an afternoon. Following are some of the things that we saw.  It's mainly pictures; I haven't much bothered with the botany.

Fluff covered most of the gardens. It's similar to Canberra's annual fluff snow but the fluff here comes from the Kapok tree (Ceiba pentandra).

Heart 4 Comment 1
John GrantOne lone kapok tree easily produces a lifetime's supply of kapok every season !
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 3
Bill ShaneyfeltI was guessing that is what was dropping the fuzz!
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Ian WallisTo Bill ShaneyfeltBill, another good educated guess on your part!
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Bill ShaneyfeltPuzzle pieces were there... Botanic gardens likely to have tropical stuff from other continents, fuzz, and having recently ID'd it in S. America for another journal didn't hurt either! Sometimes I get lucky. Not often.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago

The tree, from tropical America and west Africa has many uses. The "cotton" provides filling, the bark has several medicinal uses, while the flowers are an excellent source of nectar and pollen.

There's all of the things one would expect in a garden that has species from around the world, but with an obvious emphasis on the tropics. Thus, it's somewhat surprising to find the Mexican Garden in Indonesia's rainy city.

Heart 3 Comment 0

There were a few things we wanted to see such as Pandanus sp, giant waterlilies and the orchid house.

Pandanus often looks a mess but has many uses from weaving the leaves and extracting their colour or flavour, through to eating the fruit. There's 750 species!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Sky-high Pandanus
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
The orchid house
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 1
Ian DouglasMung bean tree?
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
A white elephant! Apparently, an excess of external metal means that this building is unsuitable for housing and researching orchids.
Heart 5 Comment 0

On our journey we looked at a fine array of plants. Here are a few of them. 

A bromeliad
Heart 3 Comment 0
One of the 1000 species of bamboo
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
In Australia we climb greasy poles. In Indonesia they race up this palm.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Oncosperma horridum. An unjust name for a fine looking plant.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Palm oil, Elaeis guineensis. I'm going to see a lot of this in my remaining 1500 km.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Ian DouglasA ‘stout’ tree.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
My shirt matches the fruit of Tabernaemontana macrocarpa
Heart 6 Comment 2
Joel KrewazIan, you look very relaxed and comfortable in botanic surroundings. May the tree energy carry you far.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Ian WallisTo Joel KrewazJoel, great hearing from you. I think what you say is true. It's very hard to find peace and quiet in Indonesia. The gardens are about as close as you will get. Ian
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Tabernaemontana macrocarpa - the fruit has been used to poison arrows.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Baobab
Heart 4 Comment 1
John GrantIt doesn't look particularly happy, Ian . . .
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
A warning: horrible thing happen to those who dance under trees.
Heart 4 Comment 0

And so, that was our day at these wonderful gardens that Melani worries will be ruined by commercial interests.

We were soon waiting for a bus on the road on which I cycled into Bogor last week. In fact, I discovered that I could have cycled on a path, if I had crossed the road.

Looking towards the gardens
Heart 3 Comment 0
A bicycle path
Heart 3 Comment 0
That will prevent you going anywhere
Heart 4 Comment 1
There's plenty of room for a token path, that goes for a km, on this side adjacent to the gardens, where this fellow is engaging in the national pass time of sweeping up leaves.
Heart 3 Comment 0

During our short wait for the bus, Daisy commented on the dubious nature of these structures that support road signs.

Should a country with high moral values support road signs with these structures?
Heart 2 Comment 0

Soon Daisy and I were on a bus, and in the traffic, heading for the university where we got a meal at a hole-in-the-wall. "Is it good", I asked Daisy, on the way. It's edible", she said.

Heart 3 Comment 0

From there, we did the usual thing of ordering a car. But first we walked to a spot that a car could reach. Tomorrow I will be back on my bike, fighting my way to the ferry, 140 km away. I'll cross to Sumatra and ride the 1350 km to Dumai, from where I'll get a couple of ferries to Singapore. That's the plan, at least!

But, before that, bike of the day.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Paul WilliamsHi Ian…great photos of the gardens on your brilliant cycle ride…I hope everything is going great for you…enjoy the next part of your journey 🚢🚢🚢⚓️🚴🚴🚴
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Ian WallisTo Paul WilliamsThanks Paul. Well under 2000 km to go. Sumatra tomorrow, I hope. Ian
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Jackie LaycockLovely photos Ian, thanks for sharing, as always.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago