What's to the north? - France again - this time Alsace - CycleBlaze

August 5, 2022

What's to the north?

Heart 0 Comment 0

Originally we had planned to cycle from Saverne to Molsheim where we were now, in the end we found taking the car to be a better idea. So today we cycled a loop back up that way to see what we might have missed by not cycling to Molsheim.

Today was cooler and a bit overcast, a relief from the heat of the previous days. Since we didn't feel we had to leave as early as possible and be back before one, we decided to take a few pictures in Molsheim itself.

Town gate of Molsheim
Heart 1 Comment 0
In Molsheim (the Soleil d'or on the left is a Chinese restaurant, closed on the day we needed a place where you didn't need to make reservations)
Heart 1 Comment 0
A glockenspiel where the figures come out and sound the hour on the bell with a little hammer
Heart 2 Comment 0
Molsheim's Jules Verne carrousel
Heart 2 Comment 0
Molsheim is the home of the Bugatti automobile.
Heart 0 Comment 0

I'm not very knowledgeable about cars, but I have heard of Bugatti.

Molsheim is the home of the BUGATTI family, the birthplace of the brand and the modern headquarters of the company. Molsheim is where BUGATTI’s history of success began in 1909, when Ettore Bugatti bucked the trend and started producing cars that were small, light and easy to handle.

Today's route started on the bike path following the Buche River. From the bike path Avolsheim looked worth a stop and we had a look.

In the foreground the neo-romanesque church St. Materne, behind it to the left the much older Baptistery St. Ulric (about 1000)
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ceiling frescos in the baptistery
Heart 1 Comment 0
A backdrop for my bike picture
Heart 1 Comment 0
We have seen that all the pretty flowers decorating the towns have to be watered frequently.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We stayed on the bike path to Wasselonne and on the return trip we left the bike path to include Wangen and Westhoffen on our tour.

Some nice details along the way
Heart 2 Comment 0
More bright colors
Heart 1 Comment 0
Nice details on the houses - I think it reads 1416
Heart 1 Comment 0
A tight squeeze on narrow streets - Westhoffen.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Aged window and wall
Heart 1 Comment 0
Wangen or Wasselonne, I can't remember
Heart 1 Comment 0
Probably Wasselonne
Heart 0 Comment 0

The best part of the ride was the country road after Wangen and Westhoffen before we again reached the bicycle path. It deserved a drone flight.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Hot and tired
Heart 0 Comment 0
I spied a heron.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A beautiful daft horse, I think it's a Percheron.
Heart 2 Comment 0
He was behind a fence and to get a better picture I poked my lens through the fence. Sorry fella, that's just a camera, not an apple.
Heart 2 Comment 0
My only stork today, sighted close to Molsheim.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Scott AndersonHow great! He’s got bits of feathers stuck to his beak.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

The end of the day was much more pleasant than the past few evenings, 26C when we went out to eat instead of the crushing 36C of yesterday.

I don't know what that is at the bottom of the page, but I don't know how to remove it.

CaptionCutAdd line aboveAdd line belowDeleteThe end of the day was much more pleasant than the past few evenings, 26C when we went out to eat instead of the crushing 36C yesterday.

Today's ride: 37 km (23 miles)
Total: 345 km (214 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Scott AndersonNew drone! Let’s hope Janos is more careful with this one.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Scott AndersonI've got my fingers crossed!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago