To the vineyards - France again - this time Alsace - CycleBlaze

August 4, 2022

To the vineyards

Heart 0 Comment 0

We have ridden to the east and to the west of Molsheim, the direction for today was to the south. Again we don't know what to expect from the countryside on our route but Rosheim and Obernai are supposed to be attractive towns. It's hot again, in the late afternoon reaching 36C. But by then we just have to stroll to dinner and sit in the shade.

It was a short ride to Rosheim, the morning air was cool and so far we weren't disappointed with the planned tour. Aside from some scary drivers, Rosheim was lovely.

On the way to Rosheim, dry countryside
Heart 0 Comment 0
Romanesque church ( ca. 1150) St. Peter and Paul, Rosheim
Heart 1 Comment 0
Detail from the main entrance
Heart 1 Comment 0
Arch detail, main entrance
Heart 1 Comment 0
Interior of St. Peter and Paul
Heart 0 Comment 0
A town with not one but three town gates
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rosheim
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rosheim - I think I have now shown the same gate three times.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rosheim
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rosheim - same gate twice
Heart 0 Comment 0
A third gate and an interesting fountain to the left
Heart 1 Comment 0
A decorated bicycle with snails on its tires
Heart 2 Comment 0
Stork on a hanging sign for a salon de thé
Heart 0 Comment 0
A real stork
Heart 2 Comment 0

Another five kilometers and we were in Obernai. On the way Janos flew his drone over the vineyards as I cycled on ahead.

Not quite ready to be harvested
Heart 4 Comment 0
Rows upon rows
Heart 0 Comment 0
Coming down the hill to Obernai, the first view is of the neo-gothic church of St. Peter and Paul and cemetery (same name as the church in Rosheim, for a moment I thought I got the names confused.)
Heart 0 Comment 0
Interior of St. Peter and Paul (I have now learned how to use the manual settings and long exposure with the Lumix set on a tripod, low light no problem.)
Heart 3 Comment 0
Pulpit
Heart 2 Comment 0

Obernai is very worth seeing, and the center was crowded with visitors. We hadn't seen crowds like this in the smaller towns so far and were a bit dismayed.

It doesn't look too crowded here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our for sightseeing
Heart 0 Comment 0
Interesting window decoration
Heart 2 Comment 0
Janos and a fountain
Heart 1 Comment 0
Some more flags
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our original route was to be an out and back but we decided we didn't want to return through Obernai and plotted a loop back to Molsheim. That was a bit of serendipity. We then chanced on the nicest ride through the hills and vineyards and a rails-to-trail route, the Rosheim - Saint Nabor railway, converted to a bicycle path in 2018.

Can't say I know where this is any more.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Janos prepares for another drone session and checks an app that tells if it is allowed to fly a drone here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Stone from 1815, marking property boundaries?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Zooming in to a distant village
Heart 1 Comment 0
And always the Vosges mountains
Heart 0 Comment 0
Roadside photography while waiting for Janos
Heart 2 Comment 0
Here he comes, pleased with his new video material.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Jacquie GaudetAnd well he should be! Nice videos.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
We had no idea we had planned such a good route back.
Heart 1 Comment 0

When we got back it was well above 30C. We bought our lunch fixings and enjoyed our cool room until evening when it was time to go out for dinner. I think this was the day that we decided to go to the kebab shop down the road, it looked good enough in the Internet and was supposed to be open all day. That's what the Internet said, but it was closed. With no reservations we just had to try our luck in town. No luck, there wasn't a free seat anywhere. Finally, in a small side street we found another kebab place with outdoor seating. Phew, didn't have to go to bed hungry. It might be called fast food, but it is also fresh food, no complaints.

Today's ride: 32 km (20 miles)
Total: 308 km (191 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0