Mountains Already? Bruckmühl to Übersee - Alpe-Adria Tour 2018 - CycleBlaze

August 27, 2018

Mountains Already? Bruckmühl to Übersee

It was still chilly in the early morning but we knew to put on enough layers this time so we could enjoy the sunny day. Our route followed the Mangfall, starting off with gravel, later asphalt before we left the river altogether and got into the hills. They looked harmless enough on the map, but there were some challenging little climbs on dirt trails. Janos was wondering if his battery would last for the day and I was wondering if this is just the beginning, what will it be like when we cross the Alps. But I still had a few days to get in better shape I thought.

On one of the climbs on a rutted dirt trail, strewn with stones and laced with roots, there was a young woman in front of me who slowly and surely worked her way up, never changing her cadence, a pleasure to watch. The only reason I could stay behind her was because I had e-support. Who planned this route anyway? I did, and it avoided busy roads and it was lovely. Yes, there would have been flatter options, but this was what I wanted.

We are in the region called Chiemgau and have many beautiful mountain vistas, views of meadows and grazing cows, and can look down to the Chiemsee, a lovely lake. At the end of the ride we descend to the flatlands around the lake and cycle to our hotel in Übersee.

The hotel is a little too old, a little expensive and a bit off our route but I chose it because the price was more moderate than most of the hotels I found in the internet. Chiemsee is a holiday region which I suppose accounts for the higher prices of all the hotels around here in general.

Today was a bit long and tiring for us, but again it was a wonderful day.

A sunny morning as we follow the Mangfall with the mountains in the distance.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Our gravel path is flat and straightforward.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A heron soaking up the sun.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Hilly pastures and cows - characteristic of Chiemgau
Heart 4 Comment 0
Quiet roads and distant vistas
Heart 5 Comment 0
Looking down to Chiemsee
Heart 4 Comment 1
Karen PoretJust lovely!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Our rolling countryside
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

That's +1,772 ft by the way. Proud of that!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0