California Dreamin’ - Winterlude 2020 - CycleBlaze

November 15, 2020

California Dreamin’

All the leaves are brown (all the leaves are brown)
And the sky is grey (and the sky is grey)
I've been for a walk (I've been for a walk)
On a winter's day (on a winter's day)
I'd be safe and warm (I'd be safe and warm)
If I was in L.A. (if I was in L.A.)
California dreamin' (California dreamin')
On such a winter's day
        California Dreamin’, by John and Michelle Phillips

You got wheels, you got your honey, you got ze money, it’s time to roll south to drier, warmer climes. Drive safely, ride freely, wear your damn masks and your damn sunscreen.  
          Andrea Brown

I think it’s been a week straight that I’ve awakened with the Mamas and the Papas streaming through my head.  Truth be known, Rocky and I started fantasizing about heading south almost as soon as we worked the jet lag out of our systems.  What’s the point of being a homeless migrant after all, if you can’t move with the seasons?

That Team Anderson!  They’re just so flighty.  It sounds so self-indulgent, following the sun like this just because we have wheels and ze money, as Andrea so eloquently phrased it.  Actually though, we’re showing admirable restraint.  For a few days after returning home, Team Anderson batted around the idea of flying off to the Big Island for a month in the sun before deciding that was just too over the top.  Compared to that extravagance, driving our little high-mileage Jetta south is quite modest.

We don’t have much in the way of a plan, and will just figure out what we’re doing as we go.  For now, we only have two fixed points: a week-long reservation in Chico starting Monday night, and a two month reservation back in Portland starting in mid-January - the one we made back when we were hoping to be in Italy and Greece until our Schengen-days were up.  Hopefully by March the world will have righted itself somewhat and we’ll be able to start on a real tour again, but in the meantime this will have to do.

Biking down Naito Parkway, on my way to pick up the Jetta. It looks like the oaks lost about half of their leaves in last night’s windstorm.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Our bike locker barely has room for the Straggler, Roddy and our two bike suitcases. We’re taking the Bike Fridays because Roddy needs a tune-up pretty badly. If we’d seen this coming even a few days go I’d have gotten him in to the shop, but there’s no time now.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 15
Jen RahnYessss!!! Another blog!

Can't wait to read about your sunny adventures down south.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Tricia GrahamI rather thought nothing would keep you off your wheels !
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Tricia Graham I know. So predictable.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Patrick O'HaraMy Belfast-born mother always said that I, "had a bee at my backside." Glad I'm not the only one. Way to go Team Anderson. Why not head south to warmer climes! Can't wait to follow along.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Patrick O'HaraBelfast! Have you two ever cycled in Ireland? We keep talking because out it, and then remember that it rains a bit.

And what a great phrase - bees in your backside. I’ve not heard that before.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Patrick O'HaraHey Scott.

Yes. We have cycled Ireland. It was beautiful, but it did rain a lot, as I recall. Looking forward to your next adventure. Sunny weather looks pretty good about now. Pretty cold and wet here on the West Coast.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Kathleen JonesBah. Oregon and California issued travel advisories yesterday, saying people traveling into eacg state should do a 14-day self-quarantine.

https://www.gov.ca.gov/2020/11/13/california-oregon-washington-issue-travel-advisories/

https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DCDC/Pages/COVID-19/Travel-Advisory.aspx
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Kathleen JonesYes, we did see this. It came in the day after we cancelled our stay in Portland and booked our stay in Chico. We’re such antisocial types that we’re pretty much always self-quarantined anyway.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Suzanne GibsonWell that came sooner than I expected! Hope Chico has dry and sunny days for you! Have fun!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Bruce LellmanJust couldn't stay long enough to have coffee with me again! Well, good thing we did see each other once during your short stay in Portland. It was quite enjoyable to hear about Croatia in person.

As far as I can determine I'd say Taiwan is (and will continue to be) the safest place on the planet right now. S. Korea and New Zealand come close.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Suzanne GibsonI know, it’s a bit rushed alright. You and others made us feel guilty for pulling the plug though.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bruce LellmanIt looks like Taiwan and NZ are destined to stay safe too, since they’ve locked their doors to the entire rest of the world. So un-American!

Sorry for standing you up for coffee next week, but you probably shouldn’t have been sitting down too close to me anyway. I’ll make it up to you when we’re back in town - the next one’s on me.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Bruce LellmanTo Scott AndersonSo that leaves S. Korea you can still go to if you want to quarantine. I know someone doing it and she says it's supposed to be 14 days but it turns out to be 15. Costs around $1800 - hotel/food/testing.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bruce Lellman아니요 괜찮습니다.!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Bruce LellmanTo Scott AndersonThat's exactly what I was thinking.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago