Wrap-up: Some memories that stick with us - Northwest Trails - CycleBlaze

July 9, 2023

Wrap-up: Some memories that stick with us

We had a terrific Cycle Blaze meetup to start off our first day after the ride- breakfast with Scott and Rachel Anderson at Jo-La Cafe in Portland.  There's an excellent chance that our paths will cross again this fall for a ride together in Spain.

Best Ride Sherpas: We got some super helpful guidance on our route from Team Anderson, especially the tip to be sure to ride up Steptoe Butte in the Palouse.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Scott AndersonI’m so glad Steptoe worked out for you. It’s such an astonishing spot. I first was aware of it when I saw a framed photo from there at an art fair about twenty years ago, and knew it was a place I had to see for myself someday.

¡Nos vemos en España!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Scott Anderson¡Estamos muy emocionados!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago

From there it was a short walk to Tim Shepard's house to retrieve our bikes for a short cruise on the bike paths through the city. Just four miles was enough to move the blood around and get us to West End Bikes, where our recumbents will be packed up and shipped home. 

A peak at the Willamette River from the greenway that runs behind Tim's home
Heart 2 Comment 0
Packing, transporting and reassembling our recumbents for the train to Montana last month was rather stressful. It's a relief to hand it off to these guys for the return trip.
Heart 2 Comment 0

It was wonderful to have a couple days of R&R in Portland with Terry and Mary Fran. Once the bikes were sent on their way we had no responsibilities. The rest of the day was devoted to naps, catching up with the Tour de France and dinner on the porch with old and new friends.  Terry planned a fun outing for the next day - berry-picking and a picnic at a winery.

Dinner with Terry, Mary Fran, Tim and his wife Andra.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Raspberry picking at Hoffman Farm. It's a rare thing to see Barry with a berry basket.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Wine tasting and a picnic at Hamacher Wines
Heart 2 Comment 0
Terry has mad skills at Boule, also known as Bocce. He won the Boule tournament at his college reunion in Aix last year and defeated us handily at the winery.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Thanks to Terry and Mary Fran for the soft landing.
Heart 2 Comment 0

On to the wrap-up of the tour... 

We came here to see a part of the country that was new to us, and to ride some famous trails, especially the Trail of the Coeur d'Alene, which inspired us to explore this region. Ultimately we rode on many more trails, 22 in all. When we weren't on trails, there were more quiet back roads than U.S. highways, and the highways usually had a decent shoulder. There were only three partly rainy days - all in Idaho, and just a few hot ones.

We passed through a range of landscapes, from the forested mountains and huge lakes of Montana and Idaho to the rolling prairies of the Palouse to the Columbia Gorge. Here are a few enduring memories of our experience.

Most thrilling descent: 19 miles from Logan's Pass down Going to the Sun Road.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Best daydream fodder: Lake Koocanusa, Montana. During the long hard ride into the wind from Umatilla OR to Maryhill WA, my mind kept returning here, replaying images of the lake flowing through the Kootenai National Forest.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Coolest Hidden Gem: The Ross Creek Cedars near Heron Montana. Some are as old as 1,000 years. It was totally worth the trip up the hill to see them.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Andrea BrownI was ten days overdue with my daughter and people were giving all sorts of suggestions to start labor. A quiet walk in "The Cedars", as we called them, was the ticket. A place very dear to my heart.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Andrea BrownSweet story Andrea. That's a powerful place.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Best expanses of sky: Along the Bull River on Montana 56 through Sanders County.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Best WarmShowers Stay: This is a tough one because they were all so nice, but Cyndy and Rupert's place in Sandpoint ID is the one I most hope to return to. We learned much from them about life and cycle touring on the backroads. Sandpoint is a chill town with great bike paths, restaurants and a ski resort.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Coolest City: Spokane Washington has a fabulous bike path that runs through a scenic riverfront, with great public art from Expo 74.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Best Bike Trail: The Trail of the Coeur D'Alenes lived up to its rep as a Rails-to-Trails Hall of Famer. The chain-of-lakes region from Harrison to Medimont is especially beautiful.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Most Ethereal Landscape: The view from the top of Steptoe Butte in the Palouse
Heart 4 Comment 0
Best Day Off the Bike: The boat trip up through Hell's Canyon on the Snake River. Our expert guide educated us on the wildlife, history and geology of the deepest canyon in North America, and there were two beautiful stops along the way where we could hang out by the river.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Best Campsite: Lewis & Clark Trail State Park in Dayton WA where the Corps of Discovery stayed on their return trip east in 1806. Even though the park is on U.S.12, the hiker-biker site sits far enough back to hear the Touchet River gurgling at night.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Best Photo: Barry took this one on the Historic Columbia River Highway as I rounded the curve on the way up to Rowena Crest, west of The Dalles.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Most Luxurious Hotel: The historic Columbia Gorge Hotel in Hood River OR, a last minute pick where we had the best dinner of the trip and a view of the Tunnel Fire raging across the river in Underwood WA.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Most Startling Discovery: The Columbia Gorge. We had no idea how many beautiful sights awaited us on our three days riding the Historic Columbia River Highway and Trail. Multnomah Falls, above, was just the beginning.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Many thanks to all of you who have followed along, cheered us on and offered advice and insights on the journey. You added much to the experience for us.

So grateful to be doing this together.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Kelly IniguezThis was a really good try out for your belt drive P-38. What is the verdict? Also, how about those Slime filled tires? Yay or nay? Has Barry seen anything on TPU tubes? I don't care so much about the weight, but if they are more puncture resistant AND light weight, that is interesting.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Janice BranhamThe P38 is rock solid. I had no trouble with it on this tour or since. It'll be my ride for a two-month trip up the Atlantic coast this spring. As for the sealant, I'm a believer. I've had zero flats on this bike with the slime in the tubes. Barry is not such a fan. We both had sealant in our Bike Friday tires in Europe last fall and had a few flats, likely because the tires were too worn. He didn't enjoy the mess when he had to patch them up. I had not heard of TPU tubes until you asked. I haven't seen anything about them being more puncture proof, would be interested in any intel you have.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago

Today's ride: 4 miles (6 km)
Total: 1,305 miles (2,100 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 7
Bill ShaneyfeltDelightful journey! Thanks for all the nature photos!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Andrea BrownYou really had a great trip through beautiful country. Thanks for bringing us along.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Bill ShaneyfeltThanks Bill. We enjoyed reading all of your botanical references.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Andrea BrownThank you Andrea. It really is such a gorgeous area. I'm happy we could spend some time here.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Rachael AndersonGreat synopsis of the tour!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Suzanne GibsonThanks for taking us along to the many wonderful places I will never be able to visit myself. Great pictures and writing!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Suzanne GibsonThank you Suzanne! I was glad to read your comments in the intro to your grand tour about the challenge of keeping up the journal while on the road. It's so difficult some days. I appreciate the feedback.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago