Day 3 - Innsbruck to Roppen - Wobbling Over the Alps - Tandem Tour - September 2022 - CycleBlaze

September 5, 2022

Day 3 - Innsbruck to Roppen

We found a bolt and kept riding!

Heart 0 Comment 0

Breakfast in the Weiss’s Rössel was truly amazing, but we were too focused on our missing bolt problem to take pictures.  Many bike shops were closed on Monday or on vacation, but we had 3 places to check in the downtown area.  We headed out at 0900.  Unfortunately we struck out at all 3.  Everyone was helpful and kind, but no bolt.  Hmpf.  

At the last spot, we discussed where to go with the shop owner and he suggested BKD, which is a combination auto parts and bike store.  It sounded promising but since it was quite a walk, we changed into our bike clothes and checked out of the hotel.  We loaded up the bike and rode gingerly out to the store, which is kind of in the suburbs of Innsbruck.

Rich took one of the bolts off the bike and went in.  As he walked in, a friendly worker asked what he wanted.  At times like this, and with Rich’s poor German, a visual aid is very helpful.  Displaying the remaining bolt, Rich explained the problem in pidgin German.   The lights went on in the worker’s eyes.  He disappeared and literally 10 seconds later popped back with a large bagful of matching bolts.  He wouldn’t take any money, either!   Rich was back to the parking lot with the bolt in under 1 minute.

The prize
Heart 5 Comment 4
David MathersGreat find ✔️
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Beth ArtGreat find. A very useful place to know about.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithWhat a wonderful outcome - you must be living right!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Give these guys some business next time you’re in Innsbruck
Heart 4 Comment 0

So.  We were suddenly back in business!   Once we got over the shock, we used the Wahoo’s “get me back to my route” function and after a somewhat stressful circumnavigation of Innsbruck on some busy, high-traffic streets, we were back to our route.  We only got honked at once!

Back on the bike path. A tool station!
Heart 3 Comment 0

The path leaves Innsbruck along the river and passes the airport, and we were quickly out in open countryside again.  Our stress levels dropped and we started to have fun again.   

A beautiful place for an airport
Heart 3 Comment 0

As we made our way west, there were more spectacular views.  Mountains, villages, and lots of green fields.  We stopped for an apple and almonds lunch on a bench along the path.

Heart 3 Comment 0

We passed by Stams and its beautiful abbey.  No visit today.  We were more focused on riding.

Stams Abbey
Heart 0 Comment 0

Shortly after that, we came across a herd of some kind of wild deer/antelope animals grazing on a field.  

They ran away when we stopped
Heart 2 Comment 2
Keith KleinHi,
Wow. I’ve never seen so many together. An occasional chamois wanders into Burgundy, but never in such numbers. Very cool.
Cheers,
Keith
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

It was a beautiful day but the sun was hot and we were getting tired.  We spotted a chapel with a bench under a big tree.  Perfect for a nice long break.

Time for a break!
Heart 1 Comment 0

As we approached Haiming, we entered apple country.  Lots of orchards and it looked like they were just beginning to pick.  Still plenty of apples on the trees.

Apple country, Austria
Heart 0 Comment 0
A beautiful spot. I bet the horses love it when the apples start falling.
Heart 1 Comment 0

After Haimling, we were suddenly in the pine forests and things got serious.  A sustained hill that topped out above 7% got our attention, then we had a gorgeous bobsled run down through the trees.  Little rises kept us on our toes - we cranked up our speed to pop over them  and then settled down into continued downhill flight.

Well, that is, until we came face to face with this:

Another peloton to share the bike path with.
Heart 6 Comment 0

These guys (they at least been guys at one time) weren’t too sure about us.  They stopped and eyed us suspiciously.  Not being farmers, we have no idea what to do when confronted by huge beasts like this.  So we moved to the side to let them pass.

That got them curious.  They ambled over to us and started sniffing the bike, the bags, and us.  When one of them looked like he wanted to take a bite out of the panniers, Rich decided that action was required.

Just start walking!
Heart 5 Comment 0

And that did the trick.  

After some more up and down we crossed the river.  It’s a lot smaller and wilder looking than it was downstream.  More beautiful!

Heart 3 Comment 0

And then a final crunch up a big hill to the Pension Alpina.

Home sweet home
Heart 1 Comment 0

We were shocked to find that we had a small apartment with a kitchen and a balcony.  The sun was intense, so we quickly did some laundry and set up our travel clothesline.  I’m sure the neighbors appreciated it.  :)

We walked to the Grillstube Restaurant Pizzeria, about 10 minutes away, for dinner.  Not much around here, and on a Monday night we were happy to have it.  A Greek salad and an arugula pizza to share.  It was really pretty good!

And the view from the parking lot was pretty amazing
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 58 km (36 miles)
Total: 195 km (121 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Scott AndersonI’m so happy and relieved for you two, and for us too so we can keep following. And chamois!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Tricia GrahamThe absolute delight you must have felt when you got the bolt enjoy this beautiful countryside
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith KleinHi,
Your karma must be pretty powerful to find you a crank bolt. I hope it continues for the rest of the tour.
Cheers,
Keith
Reply to this comment
1 year ago