The Plan - Wobbling Over the Alps - Tandem Tour - September 2022 - CycleBlaze

August 3, 2022

The Plan

Can we do this??

By our standards, this is an audacious experiment.  We're not sure we can do this, but we're going to give it a try.

Our plan is to cycle from Rosenheim (near Munich) to Trento over the course of 9 days.  Over the (gulp) Alps.

The planned route
Heart 0 Comment 0


From Rosenheim to Imst, we'll follow the Innradweg, then follow the Via Claudia Augusta over the top of the Reschenpass and down to Trento.

We are not super athletes.  So this is going to be a challenge, especially the ride up to Nauders.  The famously optimistic RideWithGPS routing tool estimates this as 6km of 6%.  On a loaded tandem, we may be walking a bit at that point!

Logistically, we will drive to Trento from Limoux, France, where we live.  We'll stick the car into a covered carpark (thanks, Parclick!), shrink the tandem to single format, and take a train to Rosenheim.  After a day to sightsee and put the bike back together, we'll head south to rendezvous with our car.

We have a month before departure, so we're trying to ramp up our normal riding intensity with some extra hill climbing.  This summer's super-hot weather is making that a challenge, so some early morning starts are in our future.  Early mornings, putting it gently, are NOT our specialty...

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Suzanne Gibson That looks like it's going to be a great ride! Of course you can do it, and there are always solutions when things get difficult.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesSounds like a fun challenge. We did that route as part of a previous tour, although we did take a bike shuttle over the Reschen pass. The road the shuttle went on looked busy and narrow but there may be a way for bikes nearby?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Tricia GrahamThat is a really great ride and the pass not nearly as scary as it sounds. When we did it I was very nervous about it but pleasantly surprised and there was little traffic. After Naunders the ride to Trento is glorious and downhill on dedicated tracks the whole way
Have fun
Tricia
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith KleinHi,
Bon voyage. I’ll be following along on what is sure to be a great tour.
Cheers,
Keith
Reply to this comment
1 year ago