Homeward Bound - The ninth step ... Somewhere in South Africa - CycleBlaze

December 31, 2020

Homeward Bound

Veldrif to Picketberg

Homeward bound, but not in a railway station and no ticket for our destination.  Instead, a rather boring ride for thirty odd kilometers on a slow poison, straight-as-an-arrow road through badly degraded strandveld and into a pesky headwind.

Two long straight sections in the first half of the ride were pretty mind-numbing.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After the halfway mark we started some roller coaster hills as we approached the mountains.  Even though the wind didn't change it seemed to bother us less as the scenery improved.

Rolling hills through fallow wheat fields.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Close to the mountains vineyards started to appear.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Then it was a pretty stiff climb as the temperature rose.  The traffic also got busier but the adequate shoulder made for a relaxing and pleasant ride.

About a kilometer to go to the top of the climb.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We are spending the next two nights in a pretty fancy flat in Picketberg.  With the new lock down regulations we will be celebrating the New Year in an alcohol-free way but at least it will be in comfort and style.   We had booked this and the next stop on Porterville before we got news of the wedding so we will enjoy the break before we start pushing harder to get back to PE. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 66 km (41 miles)
Total: 1,388 km (862 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0