Short and hot - The ninth step ... Somewhere in South Africa - CycleBlaze

January 2, 2021

Short and hot

Picketberg to Porterville

Today's ride was a short one so we only got going at around nine o'clock.  It was already about thirty degrees and would get even hotter on the ride.  Thank goodness we didn't have far to go.  It was pretty boring too, just old wheat fields and quite a bit of traffic.  

The road to Porterville. Just fallow wheat fields with the Witzenberg mountains in the distance.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking back towards Picketberg. More of the same.
Heart 1 Comment 0

But the guesthouse where we are spending the night compensated for the so-so ride to some degree.  The male half of the owners has a slight bicycle fetish and his garage made for some interesting browsing.  I asked him why he had so many and he replied that whenever his partner, Clare, bought a new dog he was allowed to get a new bicycle ... and bicycles don't die.

Some hanging up. These are for Alan's use.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some on the ground. For the guests to use.
Heart 1 Comment 0
And of course loads of bicycle tools etc.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Even the garden furniture is bicycle related.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Alan's pot plants. Clare's dog starting eating them while I was looking at the bikes. Chilled out dog.
Heart 0 Comment 0

It was pretty hot - the thermometer on Alan's stoep read over forty degrees - but the swimming pool was refreshingly cool.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 28 km (17 miles)
Total: 1,416 km (879 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0