Tamnougalt to Marrakech - Three, Two, One....Tour - CycleBlaze

March 10, 2023

Tamnougalt to Marrakech

This was the last day of cycling in Morocco - a short but challenging ride followed by a long van trip to Marrakech. We started the day on bikes, using back roads to Agdz and side streets to navigate through the city. From Agdz, the route took us north, paralleling the Draa River for about six miles on a small tarmac road that rose and fell as we made our way towards Insel. Then the fun began.

Morning in Tamnougalt
Heart 6 Comment 0
On the way to Agdz
Heart 4 Comment 0
Approaching Agdz
Heart 3 Comment 0
Agdz
Heart 5 Comment 0
Traveling north from Agdz along Draa River
Heart 4 Comment 0

We left pavement somewhere near Insel, heading west on a dirt track that wound up, down, and up again as it followed the Draa River. The landscape had an open and sparse beauty that appeals to me – colorful at first but becoming a palette of grays and browns interrupted only by scrub brush and the occasional cluster of palms. The track was rough – often rocky and sandy with frequent trenches as it sloped toward the riverbed. It was a ride that focused my attention, and was both exhilarating and exhausting. The uphill sandy stretches were the biggest challenge, and when my leg strength was insufficient to power through I briefly resorted to hike-a-bike. But slowly and steadily I made my way to the top, cycling up the final steep stretch to a great round of cheers. The pictures speak for themselves.

Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 8 Comment 1

Once at the top, I bade farewell to my bike, collapsed into a folding chair, and dug in to one of the juiciest oranges I can remember. Before long, all the bikes were loaded atop the truck and we piled into the passenger van for the long trip to Marrakech. There was a long lunch stop in Ouarzazate – yet another tajine, but one of the best of the trip.

Today was Frank’s birthday and Beate had arranged for a surprise birthday cake and a small celebration back at the hotel. However, we did not get arrive at the hotel until 6:30, leaving barely enough time to clean up and make our 7:30 dinner reservation. Therefore, some of us were concerned when the hotel insisted we go up to the terrace for tea – a greeting tradition that they seemed determined to maintain. But it was all a ruse – when we arrived at the terrace, our table was set with plates and tableware. Looking a bit confused,  Frank took his seat and the  cake appeared, to his surprise, embarrassment and delight. We pushed back the dinner reservation and took our time savoring the chocolate cake and a week of great cycling with newfound friends.

The wonderful crew - the drivers Mohammad and Jalal are flanked by cycling guides Mohammad (l) and Lachen (r)
Heart 6 Comment 0
Bye, bye bike - I'll miss you not.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonI don’t blame you!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Celebration
Heart 5 Comment 0
Beate and the birthday boy
Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 17 miles (27 km)
Total: 152 miles (245 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Kathleen JonesJust a wonderful tour. So glad you got to do this, and that we got to see this too.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Susan CarpenterTo Kathleen JonesThanks Kathleen - it was a fantastic way to experience so many aspects of Morocco, a wondrous country and warm people
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Janice BranhamI would never have thought of doing a tour like this but really enjoy seeing your photos and following along. Great adventure.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago