In Tucson: it’s a Wash - Looking Back With 2020 Vision, Part I - CycleBlaze

January 25, 2020

In Tucson: it’s a Wash

Another day, another loop ride.  This time we’re exploring the other end, toward the southeast of town.  Between yesterday and today we’ll complete most of it, save for a short stretch on the north end along the Rillito River.

No drama to today’s ride, and not that much different to report than yesterday, so I won’t say much.  Note though that this one is a hill climb: it’s a pretty steady 15 mile ascent up Julian wash, until finally topping out and dropping back toward town alongside Pantano Wash.  

And in case the idea of a fifteen mile climb sounds daunting, it’s not really so bad.  600 feet in 15 miles works out to 40 feet per mile, for an average grade of 0.8%.  Not too bad.  Even the hill-averse (looking at you, Frank) could deal with this.

Gain 600 feet up Julian Wash, lose it down Pantano Wash.  It’s a Wash.

Three regrets from an otherwise fine day, one of Rachael’s and two of mine:

  • Three times, a roadrunner beep-beeped across the path right in front of Rachael.  Unfortunately, she had the GoPro turned off all three times.
  • A beautiful barred-tailed Coopers Hawk swooped up my left side and alit in a palo verde, not 30 feet from me - the closest I’ve ever been to one in the wild. Hiding in the shade, he stayed put long enough for me to stop, open the camera, and prepare to zoom in.  Just then, three bikers whizzed by and flushed him out, and he was gone in a flash.
  • Biking through the northern neighborhoods of Tucson on our return to town, a coyote ran across the street and stood in the yard about three houses ahead of us.  Just long enough to tease me into pulling out the camera before he slipped out of sight.
Tucson does have its less bright side. If you get caught by the train, it can be a lengthy wait. And if you live too close to the tracks it can be deafening.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Bridges in this direction too. I wonder what the A stands for on the hill opposite. Anderson?
Heart 4 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltSometimes it gets painted yellow by ASU students... Rivalries!

Likewise, the A on Tempe Butte occasionally gets a coat of red...
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
For several miles there are bike paths on both sides of Julian Wash. it really adds interest to have the ability to ride back and forth on either bank and mix things up.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A pretty poor shot, but could this be anything other than a vermillion flycatcher?
Heart 1 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltNot much red, but nothing else fits.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
The long climb east up Julian Wash. maybe the easiest 15 mile climb ever.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The southern part of the loop is closer into town and less interesting, passing warehouses, factories and the airport. Still, it’s a good ride with a well developed bike path the whole way. Sometimes, you’re just riding in the wash itself. Not advised after recent rains though.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Where’s Rachael?
Heart 2 Comment 0
Eventually we break away from the city and find ourselves cycling through the desert. Palo verde, cholla and creosote are dominant species.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This is a particularly pretty stretch, with the path lined by bright palo verde trees.
Heart 1 Comment 0
I thought I’d spare you a roadrunner shot today, but I liked this one - he’s in mid-hop, and showing off his racing stripe. I was getting a bit discouraged about how few birds were out this way when this guy zipped across the road. I will spare you shots or the other four we saw today though. Stats so far: live roadrunners, 11; dead snakes, 0.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Further east the vegetation gradually changes as we gain elevation. We’re starting to see more prickly pear, barrel cactus, and a few saguaros.
Heart 2 Comment 0
An artistic gateway across the trail nicely frames Rincon Peak.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A curve-billed thrasher. New to me, but very characteristic of this environment. Now that I recognize it’s song (similar to a mockingbird), I’m hearing it all the time.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Jen RahnIncredible to see it perched (comfortably?) on those menacing spines.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonI was reading up on these afterwards. They’re right at home in spots like this. Their preferred nesting site is in the crook of a cholla cactus.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
One of the appealing aspects of The Loop is the variation in vegetation and landscape. This is much different country than on the west side along the Santa Cruz River.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Chain-fruit cholla, one of the more conspicuous plants out here.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Chain-fruit cholla. Same plant as above.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Better out here than in town. There, the horn is ear-earsplitting; here, a bit romantic.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The view east, from the eastern extreme of the loop. On the left, Mica Mountain; on the right, Rincon Peak.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Northbound, toward Mount Lemmon. Same spot I took a photo from two days ago on our ride to Colossal Cave.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We’ve rounded the bend and are heading back west toward town along Pantano Wash.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Westbound along Pantano Wash.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Nicely color coordinated.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Video sound track: Gravity, by Jesse Cook

Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 45 miles,1,000’; for the tour: 1,291 miles, 65,400’

Today's ride: 45 miles (72 km)
Total: 1,291 miles (2,078 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0