In Tucson: Saguaro National Park - Looking Back With 2020 Vision, Part I - CycleBlaze

January 26, 2020

In Tucson: Saguaro National Park

Another brief post, more or less by necessity.  Most of the time I complete these in the morning, before we take off for the day’s ride.  Tomorrow though we leave for Benson on the morning train, Amtrak willing.  We’ll leave our casita about 7 and have breakfast down by the station, and then hope that Amtrak honors their policy that says we can carry our folding bikes on as luggage, as long as they’re folded.

So, no blogging time in the AM.  Rather than getting behind, I’ll just bang out a few words, show you some photos, and call it good for the day.

Saguaro National Park has two divisions: Saguaro East, nestled against the Rincon Mountains, and Saguaro West, in the Tucson Mountain Range.  Downtown Tucson lies in between, about equidistant from the two park units; but the eastern one is much closer to the city as a whole, lying just beyond the eastern suburbs.

The eastern unit is our destination today.  It’s renowned as one of the finest bike rides in the area, because it’s easy to ride to and it has a nine mile paved loop within the park that provides an outstanding cycling experience.  

It’s pretty far out though.  It’s nearly 20 miles from our house to the park, so biking there and back and riding the loop within the park gives a 50 mile ride.  We’ve saved this excursion for our last day because we’ve been taking easier rides while waiting for Rachael’s cold symptoms to abate.  She’s still congested this morning but steadily improving, so we go for it.

We follow a different route east today rather than The Loop, which curves further south and would give us an even longer ride.   Instead we take the Aviation Bikeway, which is more or less a straight shot east.  We’ve never ridden this bikeway, but it’s quite a nice alternative to The Loop.  Riding it deepens my appreciation for what a fine cycling city Tucson is.  I don’t know if it’s quite as cycle-friendly as Portland is, but it’s certainly competing in the same league.

A few miles from the park, we’re overtaken by a train of tandem bicycles - at least ten of them, also on their way to Saguaro.  We chat a bit as they pass, as we wait for lights, and finally at the visitor center.  They’re from all over the country, but New England and the Midwest primarily.  At least some of them come down each year and spend the winter here because the winter cycling is so great.  We’ve heard worse plans, frankly.

There’s more to Tucson cycling than just The Loop. Today our ride starts on the Aviation Bikeway, an older route that goes east past the airport and rail yards.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Not the best photo of a Gila woodpecker, but she (males have a red cap) wouldn’t come out of the shadows.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We’re starting to see a bit of color in the vegetation, more even than when we arrived a week ago. I’m anxious to see what things look like when we return here in two weeks. And what is this, anyway?
Heart 1 Comment 3
Bill ShaneyfeltA species of palo verde tree. Likely blue paloverde.

http://www.arizonensis.org/sonoran/fieldguide/plantae/cercidium_flor.html
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bill ShaneyfeltOh, really. We’ve never been down here when the palo verde was in bloom, and I didn’t even know it was a bloomer. Something to look forward to.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Bill ShaneyfeltLast year with the "superbloom" caused by lots of winter rain, they were spectacular. I was there in April with my daughter and it was a wonderland of color, starting to fade when we arrived. I posted a ton of pictures on facebook.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
And this? From a distance it looks like it’s blossoming, but it’s just spring green.
Heart 1 Comment 3
Bill ShaneyfeltLooks like a mesquite. Yellow leaves are about to shed.

Possibly velvet mesquite. The bean-like fruits would determine for sure.

http://www.arizonensis.org/sonoran/fieldguide/plantae/prosopis_velutina.html
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bill ShaneyfeltMesquites shed last year’s leaves in the spring?
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Bill ShaneyfeltThey shed leaves when the ground begins to dry out. It is part of their survival mechanism to conserve moisture.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
How lucky is this? After yesterday’s mediocre shot of a bird that by default seemed to be a vermillion flycatcher, it was startling to have another one fly by and pose for me.
Heart 7 Comment 1
Jen RahnVermillion it is!

Great shot.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Looking north to Mount Lemmon from the Aviation Bikeway.
Heart 4 Comment 0
I really like the color and shadows on this bridge crossing the I-10 freeway.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Biking east toward the Rincon Mountains on the Aviation Bikeway.
Heart 2 Comment 0
At the end of the Aviation Bikeway we’re dumped onto Golf Links Road for the next four miles. Safe enough and with a decent shoulder, but we spoil easily and have come to expect better. C’mon, Tucson!
Heart 1 Comment 0
After Golf Links Road we hop on to a short section of The Loop, and are soon passed by a tandem train.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We’re all going to the same place. We follow the tandem train as it weaves through a residential neighborhood, and then continue on Escalante road for the last two miles to the park entrance. Nice to have an escort!
Heart 2 Comment 0

The loop through the park is every bit as great as its reputed to be.  It’s one way, there’s little traffic, and such traffic as there is moves slowly anyway because the road is contorted with steep dips and bends and because they’re ogling the landscape.  It’s a very relaxing and very quiet ride.  And very beautiful.  The saguaros are the big thing, but they’re protecting an entire, complex ecosystem here.  There’s remarkable diversity in the plant life, and I imagine if you’re here at the right part of the day or year there’s plenty of bird and reptile life as well.  I’d love to be here in the spring and poke around looking at the cactus in bloom and hoping to see Gila Woodpeckers nesting in the saguaros.  Maybe some year.

So, off to Benson for a 12 day road trip.  The weather looks great, but we’re in for some chilly nights and mornings.  A lot of this loop is over 4,000’ and most nights drop to freezing.  At the end, we’ll bike back to Tucson and return to this place we’ve been staying for a final three night stand before flying home.

In Saguaro National Park, a lumpy ride with a few sharp turns. Easy does it, Rocky!
Heart 2 Comment 1
Bruce LellmanI've never seen a sign like that one!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

Video sound track: Son of Saguaro, by the Hacienda Brothers 

In Saguaro National Park.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Picnic time, Saguaro National Park.
Heart 1 Comment 0
In Saguaro National Park.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Saguaros are long lived and slow to mature. They only grow about an inch or so per year for the first eight years, and may turn 70 before they sprout branches. Hey, if I were a Saguaro I’d just be coming into my prime and spreading my wings!
Heart 4 Comment 3
Jen RahnOf all the humans I know, you are one of the most saguaro-like .. in your 70s and living every day like a new sprouting branch!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jen RahnGosh, I’ll have to remember this. One of the nicest things anyone has said about me. I’ll tell mom and dad when we’re up for his birthday next month - they’ll be so proud!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jen RahnThey should be very proud of their Saguaro Son.

Great that you'll be with your parents for your dad's birthday!!

How old will he be? We'd love to see a photo of you with your parents when you're there.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
This is a common sight here. Palo verde trees serve as nurse trees that shelter young saguaros.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The park literature says that saguaros reach their full height at about 150 years, and the tallest of them may reach 75 feet. This one must be one of the giants.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The trunk of a mature Saguaro (same specimen as above).
Heart 5 Comment 3
Bruce LellmanHow do you like that saddle? Did it break in quickly?
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bruce LellmanI like it a lot. It’s very comfortable. And no, it didn’t break I quickly, and in fact hasn’t broken in at all. It was perfect on day one.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Bruce LellmanTo Scott AndersonI hate you and your saddle.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
One of the arms from the same plant.
Heart 4 Comment 0
This ant mound is interesting, surrounded by a ring of tiny leaf cuttings.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Spaghetti cactus.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Saguaro forest and Mount Lemmon.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking west toward the Tucson Mountains.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Javalina Rocks, Saguaro National Park.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Looks like a weapon of war, but it’s just an ocotillo.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 50 miles, 1,800’; for the tour: 1,341 miles, 67,200’

Today's ride: 50 miles (80 km)
Total: 1,341 miles (2,158 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Bill ShaneyfeltReally enjoyed all the nature shots in the Sonoran Desert! Thanks for shooting and posting them!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bill ShaneyfeltThanks, Bill. I’m glad you’re coming along with us. I keep looking for a reptile for you, but the few tiny lizards I’ve seen scoot into the brush before I can get a look at them.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Bill ShaneyfeltTo Scott AndersonLikely the lizards are side blotch lizards. Little guys that take advantage of the briefest warmth. When it is cold, they can often be found under boards or other flat things that offer shelter.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
James FitchI just thought I'd point you towards the Austin Lounge Lizards song "Saguaro": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_9LDLur5P4, apparently based on an actual event in Arizona.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTo James FitchWow. That’s wonderful. With luck, we might be hearing this again in a video near you.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago