From Nancy to Pagny-sur-Meuse: Some sun and some rain - From Munich to Paris - CycleBlaze

June 12, 2008

From Nancy to Pagny-sur-Meuse: Some sun and some rain

I'm not used to camping yet. The tent feels terribly uncomfortable and towards morning 7° C is a little too cold for my sleeping bag and me. In the evening we could order croissants for the morning, very welcome when we set out in the chill morning air. We hadn't had enough sleep and no coffee.

Yesterday we thought the road couldn't go any higher. We were wrong. What was supposed to be downhill all the way starts with another bit of a climb. And then a descent that has me clutching my brakes until we reach the bottom. But it wasn't a nice exhilarating descent as a reward for working so hard. It was too steep, too cold and there were too many cars. Once we reach the Moselle River, we have a lovely path to Toul and the sun decides to come out for a while.

The descent ends in Maron on the Moselle
Heart 1 Comment 0
Bridge over the Moselle
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Moselle as it winds its way between the hills
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Moselle bike path which starts in Maron
Heart 1 Comment 0
Moselle bike path
Heart 1 Comment 0
Approaching Toul
Heart 0 Comment 0
St. Etienne in the distance
Heart 0 Comment 0

In Toul we stop by the tourist office and get information on the impressive cathedral Saint-Etienne and also where we can find accommodation on our route. We decide to make it a short day and the helpful staff reserves a room not too far from here.

Our hotel's reception won't open until 5 which leaves us plenty of time to visit the cathedral, have lunch and stop by an Internet café.

Impressive city walls of Toul, designed by military architect Vauban (1700)
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fortified walls and gate, Toul, designed by Vauban (1700)
Heart 1 Comment 0
Saint-Etienne
Heart 2 Comment 0
Cloister of Saint-Etienne
Heart 2 Comment 0
Interesting gargoyles here
Heart 1 Comment 0

We have one more climb ahead and I know I am going to have to push. We decide to get it over with and leave. By this time it has clouded over and the temperature has dropped. It all feels like hard work and I'm feeling very discouraged. The hill isn't half as bad as anticipated but we have a blustering wind and pelting rain to finish the day's ride. At least we have a room waiting for us.

Leaving Toul
Heart 0 Comment 0

We have a very small room in a mediocre motel close to the freeway, but it has wifi and tv, and most of all I'm happy not to be out of doors. In retrospect, it might have been smarter if we had just stayed in Toul and rested up.

Today's ride: 44 km (27 miles)
Total: 658 km (409 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0