Paris: Adieu - From Munich to Paris - CycleBlaze

June 20, 2008

Paris: Adieu

So, we got to Paris and now what? The decision is a hard one since behind all the rational arguments lurks the worry "getting old, too old?" If we return to Munich, does that mean we are quitting? We decide not.

After a long discussion weighing the pros and cons, it seems to make much more sense to return to Munich now and visit my sister later on in the summer. August will be a perfect time to visit her in Durfort and it will also give our finances a chance to recover - we have been spending much more money than anticipated since the weather (and a hankering for comfort) had us staying in hotels almost every night.

Off we go to the train station to buy tickets, for the night train, I assume, since that's the only connection I know of that will accept bikes. We are surprised to discover there is now a TGV (train à grande vitesse, French for "high-speed train") to Munich that takes bikes. That's new and we hadn't dreamed the trip would be so easy. We'll take the train tomorrow afternoon at 3:30 and will be home the same day around 10:00.

The rest of the day is for Paris, not much time for such a grand city but it isn't our first visit. A ride on the métro (we aren't going to carry our bicycles down from the fourth floor of our hotel) takes us to the cité and we find we are enjoying ourselves in spite of the many tourists.

The sky over Paris, from our hotel window
Heart 1 Comment 0
A peaceful room mate
Heart 1 Comment 0
Paris métro: je t'aime
Heart 1 Comment 0

We watch the cyclists and roller-bladers on the street along the Seine which is traffic free on Sundays and holidays. And when our feet get tired, we take a lovely boat ride on the so-called "batobus" and admire Paris from the water.

No car traffic along the Seine on Sundays
Heart 2 Comment 0
View of Paris from the Seine
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

We get off at the Eiffel Tower and mill around with the crowds. After having seen so many postcards and souvenir replicas of this famous monument, I don't expect it to make much of an impression on me any more. Not true, I am again in awe of the Eiffel Tower.

The Eiffel Tower: A popular place
Heart 2 Comment 0
Zooming in on the Eiffel Tower
Heart 0 Comment 0
Australian street musicians under the Eiffel Tower: Great music, we had to buy their recordings
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our third and last day in Paris: In the morning we bring our bicycles down the many steps of the steep staircase. Since we don't leave until 3:30, we can do some city cycling before then. Let it be said here: Paris is great by bike. We have a map of the city indicating all the cycle lanes. If you don't have your own bike with you, there are bicycle-rental stations all over, also shown on the map. The weather is perfect for us to pedal around and have lunch in a small sidewalk cafe before we leave.

Paris map with bicycle routes
Heart 0 Comment 0
Paris up close: The black lines are bicycle routes
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bicycle-rental station, one of many all over the city and very popular
Heart 1 Comment 0
Yup, that's me as plain-clothes man on my bike in Paris, the person behind me is on one of those rented bikes
Heart 1 Comment 0
Bus lanes are also for cyclists
Heart 1 Comment 0
You can leave your bike overnight in the guarded parking garages, but it costs just as much as for a car - 24€ per bike! For that amount we could get a cheap hotel room for the two bikes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Farewell lunch
Heart 2 Comment 0

We are feeling very satisfied with our day in Paris, our trip to Paris and life in general as we make our way to the station for the train trip home.

Reserved space on the Paris-Munich TGV; our seats are across the aisle from the bicycles so they are never out of sight
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
München Hauptbahnhof: Back home
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 52 km (32 miles)
Total: 1,097 km (681 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltA great trip and great journal! :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago