Day 3: Ottobeuren - Tettnang: The beautiful Allgau - From Munich to the Mediterranean and More - CycleBlaze

July 1, 2006

Day 3: Ottobeuren - Tettnang: The beautiful Allgau

In the morning before we leave, we visit the famous Baroque Basilica of Ottobeuren, a highlight of Bavarian Baroque architecture. We have a look at the facade but since we don't want to sightsee the interior while mass is being read, we continue on our way. We're still close to home and can come back another time.

Basilica in Ottobeuren
Heart 1 Comment 0

Again we follow a sign-posted bike route, this time a good choice. It's a direct connection to Memmingen and avoids the freeway and the hills. Memmingen is a pleasant town, we look around and do what every cyclist has to do when he has the opportunity - we have a second breakfast.

In the early afternoon we are in Kisslegg. A flea market and town festival have turned the main street into a walking zone with picnic tables and food stalls. It's still too early in the day to stop so with some regret we drink water instead of beer and leave the lively scene to continue on our way.

"Germany in a glass, summer beer in a bottle"
Heart 0 Comment 0

We're not sure where we'll find the next town with accomodation but I want to take advantage of the sun and tailwinds - who knows what tomorrow will bring.

On the next 30 kilometers we have some of the most spectacular scenery of the whole trip. Allgäu is thinly populated, has forests, many abrupt hills carpeted in green and views which give you the feeling you're on the top of the world.

After leaving Kisslegg
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beautiful Allgäu
Heart 1 Comment 0

We don't just have beautiful weather and tailwinds, we also have many strenuous climbs and by the time we reach Tettnang we're ready to call it a day. On our final exhilarating downhill ride we catch a glimpse of Lake Constance, border to Switzerland, which we'll be crossing tomorrow.

Sign for Gasthof Traube in Tettnang
Heart 0 Comment 0
...and another sign in Tettnang
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 89 km (55 miles)
Total: 222 km (138 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0