Day 4:Tettnang - Sirnach: The family tour - From Munich to the Mediterranean and More - CycleBlaze

July 2, 2006

Day 4:Tettnang - Sirnach: The family tour

Today I'm feeling beat from yesterday's hills. I didn't sleep well either. German eiderdowns are fine for unheated bedrooms in the winter but I wish they had an alternative for the summer. I also have objections to the pillows in most German hotels. They're big and floppy and have to be punched into shape a couple of times a night. Sorry, I just had to gripe a little.

Beautiful weather again today. It's almost all downhill to Lake Constance and we're in Friedrichshafen in time to take the ferry to Romanshorn in Switzerland at 9:40.

Waiting for the ferry at Lake Constance
Heart 1 Comment 0

We have the little guide book for the Mittelland-Route 5 to Geneva and soon connect up with our road. The bicycle route is described as flat, easy and suited to family outings. The book doesn't mention the short but steep stretches through the woods on dirt paths with roots where everyone has to get off and push, even the hardy Swiss families.

Sign-posted bicycle routes
Heart 0 Comment 0

At noon in Bischoffszell and another street festival and flea market. My legs don't feel like it but we push on along the River Thur on a cinder path which I don't enjoy. Yes, there are days like that. And soon another Swiss family is passing us at a nice clip.

The trouble with all these bicycle routes that are perfectly marked is that when a construction site, say, interrupts the route, you don't have a clue where you are because you haven't been following your map. But Janos is a good navigator and we reach Sirnach with not too many extra hills. The hotel is good, the food is good and the beds are good. All is well that ends well.

Hotel in Sirnach, Gasthof Löwen
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltI'm sure you're always glad to get to your destination and bed!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Today's ride: 56 km (35 miles)
Total: 278 km (173 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0