Day 2: Landsberg - Ottobeuren: Forget the bicycle routes - From Munich to the Mediterranean and More - CycleBlaze

June 30, 2006

Day 2: Landsberg - Ottobeuren: Forget the bicycle routes

Before we set off, we cycle around Landsberg and have a quick look at the sights.

The sky is grey and the air is cool, good for cycling, but I miss the sun which would enhance the views of the flat farming country with corn, grain and rapeseed fields.

We leave Landsberg through flat countryside
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltOh my goodness, what a CUTE photo!!! :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Bad Wörishofen, where we take a break, is a German spa popular among the senior citizens for the salubrious effects of its natural springs. Who am I to be arrogant, I'm a senior citizen too, but I find it a depressing sight to see all those old people shuffling through the streets in their beige raincoats.

After leaving Bad Wörishofen
Heart 2 Comment 0

In the meantime the sun is shining. The countryside is hilly and a radiant green, a feast for the eyes but hard on the legs. By the time we get to the town of Dirlewang, we've had enough of following the bicycle route signs which take you over the top of every hill. Granted, they follow roads with little or no traffic, but for this you pay the price in climbs and detours. We choose a more direct way to get to Ottobeuren, albeit still not flat, and the traffic isn't all that bad.

Today is Janos's birthday and the World Cup game between Italy and Argentina. For the occasion we find a nice hotel where Janos can watch the game on tv.

In this part of Bavaria and later in Switzerland you find elaborate signs for shops, restaurants and hotels, here for Hotel Mohren, where we stayed
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 64 km (40 miles)
Total: 133 km (83 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0