Day 1: Munich - Landsberg: We get an early start - From Munich to the Mediterranean and More - CycleBlaze

June 29, 2006

Day 1: Munich - Landsberg: We get an early start

The excitement of finally leaving has me awake way before daylight. At 5 I decide to get out of bed which still gives us plenty of time to take care of last minute chores in the apartment before we lock the door for almost 2 months. We're on the road at 6:45 - a beautiful time of day to be out and pedaling, almost no traffic and it's not raining. We've had sun for weeks but rain was predicted for today.

From the front door
Heart 2 Comment 0

We ride out of town on familiar roads that we've taken hundreds of times before. It's not hard to get out of Munich, before long we're in the country with fields on either side of the road. We haven't been traveling long before we find a sweet bakery with cafe and terrace. Coffee and pastry and a blue sky. This feels like vacation already.

We take small roads with hardly any traffic through the Bavarian countryside that we love so much.

Countryside southwest of Munich
Heart 1 Comment 0

In the town of Inning we stop to look at the Baroque church and then continue on to Eching and Eresing.

Church in Inning
Heart 0 Comment 0

We are on asphalt most of the time, occasionally the signs for cyclists take us on dirts roads through the woods. In Eresing we stop for another charming Baroque church, typical of this part of Bavaria.

The predicted rain is in the offing. Black clouds gather on the horizon and about 4 km before we reach Landsberg it pours. But since we had 65km of good weather and could dry off in our hotel, it didn't dampen our spirits in the least.

We enter Landsberg through the old city gate, the Bayertor
Heart 2 Comment 0

We aren't equipped for camping and intend to take private rooms, hotel rooms, B&B's or whatever along the way. Janos and I both like to camp but were convinced that camping gear on a bike and all that discomfort at the end of a tiring day in the saddle would be too much for us (at our age). Another negative assumtion that we will revise in the course of our trip.

Landsberg is a lovely old town with market square, town hall and entry gate all worth seeing.

We have a fine Bavarian meal and dark beer to quench the thirst of the day. I sleep very well.

Today's ride: 69 km (43 miles)
Total: 69 km (43 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0