Royal National Park - The fifteenth step ... Four months in Australia - CycleBlaze

March 5, 2024

Royal National Park

We really enjoyed our stay in Sydney with Peter and Teg (who spoilt us rotten) but we were pleased to start our actual journey today.  There wasn't much cycling involved.  First a couple of kilometers to Chatswood to buy a gas canister and from there we took the train southwards through Sydney to Cronulla.  Then it was a bumpy ride on an old wooden ferry across the water to Bundeana at the northern entrance to the Royal National Park  where we are spending the night in the Bonnie Vale campsite two kilometers further on.

Waiting to catch the train at Chatswood station.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Mike AylingThose bikes look like new!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Jean-Marc StrydomTo Mike AylingSpotlessly clean!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
On the water to Bundeana.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

The campsite has some good but common birds with lots of Rainbow Lorikeets (Trichoglossus haematodus) and Sulphur-crested Cockatoos (Cacatua galerita) catching our attention, largely due to the racket they make.  Unfortunately I never managed to get any good shots.   Hopefully I will be able to get a few photographs in the future  because they are both handsome bird species.  There are also many ducks, including  Australian Wood Duck (Chenonetta jubat), Garganey (Anas querquedula), Grey Teal (Anas gracilis) and Chestnut Teal (Anas castanea).  The ducks have clearly been affected by park visitors feeding them because they were a real menace, constantly messing around with our stuff looking for food.  One even got into our tent.

Birding along a small stream leading to some mangroves.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Rainbow Lorikeet
Heart 5 Comment 0
Sulphur-crested Cockatoo.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Australian Pied Oystercatchers (Haematopus longirostris) along with a Silver Gull (Chroicocephalus novaehollandiae). Cronulla in the distance.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Chestnut Teal.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Australian Wood Duck
Heart 3 Comment 0
A large goanna (I have no idea which species).
Heart 5 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltNot an expert on lizards of Oz, but might be a lace monitor. Fits photos.

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/39469-Varanus-varius
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Jean-Marc StrydomTo Bill ShaneyfeltThanks Bill.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago

The campground is quite busy but we have a quiet site  thankfully away from a large group of teenage schoolgirls.  A simple tuna pasta and a beer was all we needed before hitting the sack.

I can't think why it took so long for us to buy light weight chairs.
Heart 7 Comment 2
Elspeth JarmanThe chairs are sooooo good! I don't think I'd agree to your without them now.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Jean-Marc StrydomHi Elsp. Sitting in mine right now. Worth every 900 grams of extra weight, although Leigh might not agree.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago

Our journey starts in earnest tomorrow with a tough ride to Austinmer.

Today's ride: 8 km (5 miles)
Total: 36 km (22 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Graham SmithWelcome to Oz.
You’ve certainly been busy sightseeing. Making the most of your time.

All the best for the ride down the coast. It’s a beautiful area.

There’s a traffic free bike way all the way from Thirroul (via Wollongong) to Kiama. The path may even have been extended to Stanwell Park since I cycled it.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Jean-Marc StrydomTo Graham SmithWe've a few hills to conquer before we get to the cyclepath but I am sure the views will be worth the effort.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Graham SmithThe hill down from Stanwell Top (great view) to Stanwell Park is a bit tricky because of its narrowness, but fortunately vehicles cannot go very fast.
It’s fairly short but requires concentration.

After that, it should be fairly easy going.

The sea cliff bridge is speccy.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Jean-Marc StrydomTo Graham SmithCamping in Coledale tonight. The ride through the Royal NP was something special. An early highlight of the trip. The sea cliff bridge was also impressive. I guess by now you've worked out that we are following some of your advice :-). Thank you!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago