Coledale - The fifteenth step ... Four months in Australia - CycleBlaze

March 6, 2024

Coledale

Our first night back in the tent since a one nighter from our front door back in December.   As is usually the case when in the tent, I had an excellent night's sleep.   The first since arriving in Australia.   I didn't think it would take so long for my body clock to adjust to the nine hour time shift.

We got away very late this morning.   Even after all these years it takes a day or two to get properly organized when starting up in touring mode.   I also spent a lot of time photographing the birds in the campground which meant things took even longer.  Then we needed to cycle back into Bundeana to pick up supplies at the IGA.  By the time we left town it was after ten o'clock. 

Today's route had two big climbs, the first of which started as we left Bundeana and entered the Royal National Park.  The first climb consisted of two sections with a small descent about two thirds of the way up.   This was mostly through scrubby vegetation with very little shade to shield us from the sun.  However we then descended into a beautiful forest of eucalyptus trees with some broad leaved trees appearing later.  It was a magnificent ride until we reached the coast at the Otford lookout over the sea when the vegetation thinned out again.  The last few kilometers was a bit of a slog and my knee was hurting  a bit so we cut our ride short at a campsite on the Beach at Coledale. 

The Royal National Park has numerous hiking trails.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Lunch stop,
Heart 2 Comment 0
Eucalyptus forest.
Heart 5 Comment 0
The view from the Otford lookout.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Sign says steep descent but we had just finished climbing this hill.
Heart 3 Comment 0

We're both feeling the effects of today's efforts so the chances are we might have an easy day tomorrow.   Leigh's camping plate has decided to develop a split so we might need to find a camping shop to replace it.  Another excuse to take it easy.  We're in no rush yet and there is the small matter of the big climb up the escarpment in a couple of days time that cannot be avoided.  We want to be rested before having to deal with that obstacle.

Today's ride: 45 km (28 miles)
Total: 81 km (50 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0